Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Format the Relationships Lines in Primavera P6 Version 8.2

5 replies [Last post]
VIKAS KULKARNI
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

By default in Primavera P6 8.2 -

The color of the relationship represents:

Ø  Red – Critical and therefore a Driving relationship,

Ø  Solid Black – Non-Critical Driving relationship and therefore has Free Float,

Ø  Dotted Black – Non-Critical Non-Driving relationship and has Free Float, and

Ø  Blue – a selected relationship and may be deleted.

But in my computer its showing both driving and non-driving relationship as non-dotted red lines - How to format the relationship display to make Primavera show non-driving relationships as black dotted lines?

And also In General how to Format the Relationships Lines in Primavera P6 Version 8.2?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

unless its a small schedue do not show relationships you will have a cluser of lines

VIKAS KULKARNI

All Right - Thanks Dear Tom Boyle 

VIKAS KULKARNI

All Right - Thanks Dear Santosh Bhat 

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Might be a good idea to throw in the Relationship Total Float and Relationship Free Float columns into the relationships tabs in Activity View. I've shown how to do this towards the end of this article here: Relationship Float, and viewing in Primavera P6 | Australasian Project Planning (austprojplan.com.au)

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Vikas,

To my knowledge there is no way to reformat relationship lines in P6.  Your understanding of what they mean seems incomplete.  In particular:

Ø  Red – Critical and therefore a Driving relationship,

• I think the relationship line is solid red when both predecessor and successor activities are marked Critical.  Such relationships are always Driving only when using Longest Path.  I.e. under Total Float criterion with late constraints, many non-driving relationships are solid red.  You may restore non-driving relationships to black-dotted lines by using Longest path or by reducing the Critical float criterion to an artificially low (i.e. high negative) number. 

Ø  Solid Black – Non-Critical Driving relationship and therefore has Free Float,

• I suspect you have mis-typed and left out "no".  Critical or not, driving relationships in P6 have Relationship Successor Free Float = Zero.  The predecessor activity of such a relationship can't have any free float at all unless the two activities have different calendars. 

Ø  Dotted Black – Non-Critical Non-Driving relationship and has Free Float

• A non-driving relationship has Relationship Successor Free Float >0.  The predecessor activity could still have a lower (or zero) free float if it has other successors.

Good luck, tom