Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS

8 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Greetings Planners,

I would like to print out on pdf WBS but it is a bit big one, when I fit it to one page it can not be read

regards,

muataz

Replies

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Copy and paste the WBS to Excel and play around with the font size and scale to fit on 1 page before printing.

===
jerome
https://www.plannersplace.com/

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 19 min ago. Offline

In this case we are talking about a features in P6 that work, just that you have to use them for their best fit, it is your choice. 

Take for example the PERT charts. Impossible to follow it the job have thousands of activities but good to show/trace logic of some segments some call “fragnets”.  I very rarely use them, almost never, but when brainstorming a schedule these charts are hand drawn to communicate the logic. In this piece of paper it is easy to include parameters such as link calendars, float if a function of time or volume of work, difficult/impossible to display in software diagrams.  These hand drawn diagrams are very useful, we use them frequently.

For a PERT chart be legible for a full large schedule a football size piece of paper might still fall short.  To show all links a links table would be better, this is not about fancy Picasso drawings but about communication among the stakeholders.

picasso

Maybe by knowing what Moutaz want to print we might be able to make practical suggestions.

Rafael Davila

moutaz

There are many ways to show WBS: please click the thumbnails for a better view.

WBS-2          WBS TABLE - You can also choose to display a Gantt chart to the right of the WBS table. Click the Display Options bar, choose Show on Top and select Gantt chart to get the following.

P6-WBS-Chart-View-Fig-1        WBS GANTT CHART VIEW

WBS-4           WBS CHART

• WBS TABLE alone does not have issues with print size; the remaining options might have issues.
  • The WBS GANTT CHART VIEW might have issues with printing if the timescale is big. Also if you show the activities level when fitting it to a single page the problem might be the many lines to fit a single page.  If this is what you want to print try reducing timescale and collapsing the activities.
  • The WBS CHART might yield very little boxes impossible to read when reduced for printing in a single page.

I do not know which one is your issue; can you please post a figure of what you get?  What do you want to show?

Maybe by knowing what you want to print we might be able to make better suggestions.

moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks all for repy, I already used A3 paper size but it is still not yet readble enough.

Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Moutaz,

Could you clarify in what sense is the PDF unreadable? If it is the case of your Gantt Chart being truncated, perhaps printing as PDF on a larger paper size would work.

Here the default paper size is Letter

letter.png

And I changed the paper size to A3 (if you do not see A3 as an option, you will have to choose your PDF printer in Page Setup first e.g. Microsoft Print to PDF, Foxit PDF)

a3.png

wysiwyg_imageupload::

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
If theres so much that its illegible on one page, then how are you expecting to see it? What's the format you want it displayed as?
Rafael Davila

Try WBS Table, it might fit your needs.  I am not a P6 user (I was) but it might be you can select columns to display and export to Excel, or print it to PDF for distribution.

Primavera P6 Tutorial : Chapter 2.4 : Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)

Table

WBS-3

WBS-2

Chart

WBS-4