Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Breaks Page while Printing to pdf

4 replies [Last post]
Richard A
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

I am currently working on a project that turns out to be around 800 pages when 'optimize height by row content' option is checked.

I have to do this because the Client wants to see all activities, start dates, finish dates,original durations, free float, total float, successors and predecessors.

While the  break page option is not checked, I realised that when the print layout is displayed for 11 x 17 inches / tabloid landscape, some pages (even from page 1) left spaces after  activities with so many predecessors and successors. This results in some pages partially filled up with contents while leaving empty spaces before jumping to the next page.

If anyone have experienced this before or have a solution to this awkward scenario, I really need your help on this.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

give me your email address and I will send it 

Richard A
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for your response Zoltan and Santosh. I will adopt all your suggestions to present a report to the Client. 

Zoltan, I would really like to have the .erp report you mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Santioh is correct

work around #1

is to NOT print the Gannt chat only print the tabular data this gives you more room to make the predcessor colums larger so that the wrapping does not make the row too large.

then give a seperate gantt chart without the prdcessor and successor columns

work around #2

is to give the client the predcessor report in excel 

then give a seperate gantt chart without the prdcessor and successor columns

work around #3

give the client  the detailed predcessor report from with in p6 

then give a seperate gantt chart without the predcessor and successor columns

if you do not have this report I can give it to you can you can import the report its is a .erp file which you can import in the the reports area.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Richard,

The reason the activity lines are so "tall" that the list of successors and predecessors get wrapped within the column width you provide and therefore increase the line height to fit this list. If you increase the width of these columns then the line height will reduce, but obviously means less space for the other content. 

I think perhaps a conversation with the client will help in this instance. Advise them that the printed output size would be significantly reduced if the relationships weren't listed. Suggest you'll display relationships on the Gantt charts, and you're probably already providing an electronic copy of the schedule if they wish to investigate the relationships.