Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Text will not wrap after Import from Excel

4 replies [Last post]
T. Barnes
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello all,

I have successfully imported data to P6 via XL. I have some rather long "Activity Names" that refuse to wrap inside the field.

I have tried ALL "Table Row & Font" settings to no avail.

IF I copy the text into MS Word, then paste it back into the field it will wrap!

Thoughts?

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Go back to your original XLS import file, for the activities with long descriptions, go into that particular cell, find the point where you want the line to wrap and press ALT+ENTER

You could even build a formula that does a replace for any description over a certain length such as:

=LEFT(B2,50)&"
"&MID(B2,51,250)

Where 50 is the length you want to wrap at, and press ALT+ENTER to create the linebreak.

Then reimport to overwrite the existing Activity Descriptions, and use Zoltan's method to increase row heights.

T. Barnes
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I tried your method Zoltan Palffy.

Didn't work.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

here is a trick ot get it to work

go to view table front and row

now uncheck Keep Current Row Heights

Check Optimize Height by row content and under that select Do not exceed and use 2 lines per row select APPLY and nothing happens 

NOW under that click on Select height for all rows and select 22 and then click APPLY

now Check Optimize Height by row content and under that select Do not exceed and use 2 lines per row

next select APPLY then select OK

this is a little work around that you can use

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
In your Excel import file, if you force a line break in a description cell, this should import into P6. Be warned though, it wil screw up any exports to xls, or reports to csv output.