Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Original Duration Summary

2 replies [Last post]
Ruel Camaquin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here has an insight on how P6 calculate total duration? the issue is, the original duration total or Baseline Duration  is has higher number of days (although it is already a fixed date) than my actual duration when we have recorded delays; i.e. Sum of Activity 1 to 10 has 180 days baseline duration for 6 months while the actual duration only reflects 165 days while we are on our 8th month, (we are already delayed for 2 months) weird... is there i need to do and is the a walk-around on the matter to correct the problem? Thank you for the immediate response. Btw we are using only one calendar...

Cheers!

Ruel

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

The way P6 calculates durations for summary groups is dependent upon the calendars being used by the actviities within the group.

If all activiites use the same calendar, that calendar is used for the summary group. If the activities contain a mix of different calendars, then the Project Default calendar (set at the project level) is used to determien the duration.

The above is from P6 R6.3 onwards, prior to this, only the Global Deflault calendar was used to calculated summary durations.

The other consideration is the way P6 calculates "Original Duration" is based on Planned dates, that are another set of dates within each project. I Personally prefer to display the following:

• Actual Duration
  • Remaining Duration
  • At Completion Duration (Which is always Actual + Remaining)
  • (and if I want to show baselines) BL Project Actual duration and BL Project Remainig Duration
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Calendar Days do not necessarily mean working days, unless you are scheduling 24/7/365. Durations based from calendars will always consider non-working days, in order to come out with accurate dates. So for example: A scheduled 6-day activity, may actually have a calendar duration of 8 days, considering you have defined Saturday and Sunday as non-working days.