Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual Cost and Remaining Cost Not Updating With Data Date

3 replies [Last post]
Jean Afson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I recently updated a construction programme of works after cost loading it. The cost is fixed (Lump Sum project) and the % Complete Type is set to duration. Thus, the calculate cost from units is not checked and a budgeted cost was allocated to each resrouce (material resource). Now, after I've updated my programme for the first time, I was expecting the remaining cost and actual cost to update based on the activity's duration percentage assigned. The activities' cost did not update and the remaining cost is still equal to the budgeted cost, which obviously returns an actual cost of zero. On the other hand, the earned value is displaying the correct amount i.e. Masonry works allocated a budgeted cost of $10,000, % complete = 50%, actual cost = $0, remaining cost = $10,000 and earned value = $5,000. 

I have tried to change the % Complete Type to units and fill it, then physical and fill it. I have also tried to uncheck auto compute actuals for the resources. On a project level, under the calculations tab, both "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes" and "Link actual to date and actual this period units and costs" have been ticked. I have also tried to change the duration type from "Fixed Duration & Units" to the other types. It seems that the actual cost can only be updated manually if the "Calculate costs from units" is not checked, and this is not an option in my project as the cost needs to be fixed. I did not work on a unit rate basis because one resource often reflects many BOQ items. 

I'm running out of options and could really use a hand here. 

edit: I found out that the material cost % complete is set to zero on all activities. My initial idea was to go through a gobal change to make material cost % complete = duration % complete. However, I can't find anything related to material cost % complete in the global change. 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 3 hours ago. Offline

to run that global change that you wanted 1st creat a udf call it matper is under Enterprise User Defined fields make that data type a number

then create a new global change where duration % complete is greater than 0

the matper  = duration % complete

now run another global change make sure that in the global change that at the top under the selet subject area that you change this to activity resource assignments

the global change would be 

where  Resource Type equals Material

then Actual cost = matper * Budgeted Cost

Rahul Prasad
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I also ran into a similar problem in my programme in P6, v16.2.

The solution that worked for me is as follows:

1. Proceed to the Projects - Resources Setting Tab

2. And under the Assignment Defaults; have the "Drive activity dates by default checked".

This should enable the Actual Cost of the Activity to be calculated from the % Completed.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Very interesting. You need to set all material costs to £1 per unit. Then budgeted quantity equals budgeted cost. You can then tick the calculate costs from units box again and normal service is resumed. If you want the real quantities, you will need to add a udf. Have fun!