Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

[Q] Changing External Project Relationship to another project?

1 reply [Last post]
Roberto Jr Bustos
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi there everyone.  Most of the program I did and managed for several years are usually incorporated in a single master program so its very seldom (and been a while) that I had to use external logic between 2 or more projects.

So my situation:

1. Project A is my current project and some of the activities are driven by some milestones from another project, lets call it project 1.  Lets consider Proj A as my baseline.
    • Proj 1 is actually just a copy of a live Proj 0.  I'm only using Proj 1 for external logic and update Proj 1 weekly by importing the updates from the live Proj 0. 
  2. Now I have to progress update Proj A and name it to Proj B.  So usually I also just get the updates from Proj. 0 and overwrite Proj 1 with it.

Intention:

1. Now I'm actually changing my mind and want each update (proj A, B C and so on) to be connected externally to the live weekly updates or weekly copies of the source update.
  2. So lets say for Proj B update that is connected to a a mapping schedule Proj 1, how can I change the source external project from Proj 1 to Proj 2 instead?  Proj 1 and 2 are the exact schedule but with different data dates and progress but all structure, IDs, codes are the same.

Thanks in advance guy.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

why not just work with the same live project for every update. When you are done updating copy that file and save that copy as a historical record.

This way you are always working in the same file with the correct links to and from different projects.