Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copy User Defined Field (UDF) Data from One Project to Another

7 replies [Last post]
Greg Paulson
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I have inherited a Baseline Schedule that was developed by previous scheduler and has been going through the revise & resubmit process for several months.

When I got on board, I was asked to create a simplified schedule to use for planning purposes while the Baseline was being approved.  During this time, I have created several User Defined Fields (UDFs) for tracking submittals and other useful information.

The Baseline Schedule has been approved, and it will be the only schedule I will be using going forward.

Is there a way to copy the information I've been populating in my UDFs from my current schedule into the Baseline Schedule that I will be using?

The activity IDs are the same between the two schedules, so I'm thinking there might be a way to do a global change with both schedules open.

As always, your ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline

yes you did and I was uable to install it 

Kirill PM
User offline. Last seen 4 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Zoltan, translation is partially ready, i told you before)

Zoltan Palffy

do you have an english version of that app ?

Kirill PM

Yes, that app's site. I can install it manually without admin priviileges, but it depends on your configuration.

Greg Paulson
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline

Thank you for the video.  Is your toodbox the one on P6toolbox.ru?

Unfortunately, I am using a work laptop without admin priviileges and I have to go through a hellish proceudre with the IT department to install any software on it.

I will try the Excel edits in a test version of the schedule, but I'm a little squeemish about accidentally changing something else that causes my schedule to get disapproved in the next round of revisions for some reason I won't be able to find to correct.

Thanks for the input.

Kirill PM

You should use Excel for such things. Zoltan gave you instructions how to, but i wanna show you how i use my app to update project from Excel:

https://youtu.be/Qef7g1iFVjY

Zoltan Palffy

I dont think that you can reference another project in global change 

I think the best approach would be to make sure that the UFDs were in accessable to both projects

then export the activity id's and udf values to excel

then import the excel file into the other project.

If the wbs code by default will come with the export make sure to change teh 1st part of the wbs code prior to importing the revised excel file.

the wbs code ALWAYS begins with the project id 

for example the project id for the project that yoru are exporting from is called PROJECT1

so the export wbs code will have PROJECT1.wbs.what.ever

the project that you want to import to is called PROJECT2 so after exporting the udf for PROJET1 in excel do a search and replace PROJECT1 with PROJECT2 prior to importing it.