Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Display resource allocation cost in Euro and GBP

3 replies [Last post]
Alexandre Faulx-B...
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Planners,

Working with P6 8.4 on a France / UK project, I need to display the resource daily rate and budgeted cost in Euros for the french resources and in GBP for the english ones at the same time

I mean, I cannot answer the project director's needs with the P6 functionality of displaying all the cost in Euros or GBP according to the View currency in User Preferences.

Basically, I would assign only one € resource and one GBP resource to every activity.

I tried using cost UDF's and a Global change, with no satisfying results.

Thanks for your help,

Alexandre

Replies

David,

project cost is usually calculated as the costs of assigned resources.

I understood that in Alexandre case some resources have costs in Euros and others in GBR.

So the costs of project activities, work packages and the project is the sum of Euro and GBR expenses.

If to set special resource for one of the currencies then how to assign resource to resource that has cost in corresponding currency? If to assign costs to activities directly then they will not depend on assigned resources work and consumption.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

Alexandre,

only an American would think that Primavera's multi-currency option was adequate. They use dollars, or dollars.

The best way to deal with two currencies is to set up a resource for one of the currencies, say GBP,  and enter the Budget Cost as the Budget units. The Rate per hour is the exchange rate that you can vary every month or whatever for euros. So both columns, euros and GBP are available without global changes simply by showing the cost and the units.

The initial cost loading is a pain, as you may have multiple resources on one activity. Export and Import the resource assignments to excel, and do the aggregation and change to resource ID to GBP there.

Alexandre,

it looks like your question does not have easy answers.

You can use any number of currencies in Spider Project but i expect that you do not have an authority to select the right tool.