Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS Import from Excel

2 replies [Last post]
Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline

I have created some development code that allows me to Import a WBS Structure from an Excel file into an XER File directly & have been testing this with my own projects, along with some made up examples to try & test it out properly.

I am looking to find out if there is anyone who has any examples of Excel Files that they would want created into a WBS Structure, to save having to manually generate different test examples.

I can import in 2 different formats at present:

Format 1:

All WBS Codes contained within 2 Columns - Column 1 is the WBS Code Values, with a defined code separator between each code, Column 2 is the WBS Description - i.e.

WBS Codes
WBS CodeWBS Description
WBS1First WBS Level (Under Project Code)
WBS1.1First Child WBS of WBS1 - "." Used as Separator
WBS1.2Second Child WBS of WBS1
WBS1.1.1First Child of WBS1.1
WBS1.2.1Child WBS of WBS1.2

Format 2:

Separate Columns for each WBS Code Value Level (e.g. Excel List Tables):

WBS Codes
WBSL1 CodeWBSL1 DescriptionWBSL2 CodeWBSL2 DescriptionWBSL3 CodeWBSL3 DescriptionWBSL49 CodeWBSL49 Description

L1

Level 1 - RepeatingLALevel A - Child of L1LBLevel B - Child of LALAWLevel AW - Child of WBS Level 48
L1Level 1 - RepeatingLB1Level B1 - Child of Level L1    
L2Level 2 - Child of Project - RepeatingLZZChild of L2    

Primavera allows a maximum of 50 WBS Levels, depending on settings in the Admin - Admin Preferences - Data Limits settings.

Each WBS Code can have a Maximum of 20 Characters.

If anyone would like to try this out, I will run the Import & Test the XER Import into a test P6 database before sending the final XER File back.

I am currently working on converting Activity Codes into a WBS Structure as well, but have a few changes to be made before I could offer this for testing purposes. Once this is complete I would be looking to see if anyone would like to have this done whilst I test out the code.

All files will be tested by importing into a test database to make sure that there are no issues during import, however this is development code in a development environment so would please keep this in mind.

Regards,

Steven

Replies

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline

Johannes,

Thanks for that.

I am currently working my way through various bulk loading options, as data input is a bit of a pain in Primavera.

Is there anything else that would help you day to day, WBS Creation is only really an issue at the start of the project, as after the majority is loaded at the Project Start it is only modifications from there which are probably easier in P6.

I also have working code for converting activity codes to WBS Codes, with the WBS Levels set by choosing the Activity Code Types to use for each WBS Level. This also handles Activity Codes with a structure defined - any sub codes are added as a Sub WBS Code. 

The activity code to WBS also updates the WBS of the activities to match the new WBS Structure.

At present this updates the WBS Codes in the XER File during execution, but I think I may change this to allow the WBS Code Structure to be created on demand & only saved to the XER on request. Need to update this to allow the Origninal WBS to be saved to a User Defined Field in P6 so that it could be changed back via Global Change in P6 if required.

I am also working on converting the WBS Back to Activity Codes to allow for additional Group / Sort Options within Primavera without having to manually recreate the WBS Structure in the Activity Codes.

Regards,

Steven 

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Steven

Thank you for testing your development code that allows  Import a WBS Structure from an Excel file into an XER File.

I have imported the file, and it looks excellent. The import is remarkable, and I am sure that many persons can make use off. This would be a great for importing WBS from ERP systems to Primavera P6.

Here is a part of the WBS in Exel

Prima-WBS-2.2.3Topsides
      Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1Structural Engineering and Drafting
        Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1.1Deck In - Service Analysis
        Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1.2Deck-Pre-Service Analysis
        Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1.3Deck Design Details
        Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1.4Deck Weight and Materials Take-Off
        Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1.5Deck AFC Drawings
        Prima-WBS-2.2.3.1.6Deck Detailed Engineering and Design Report

As loaded in Primavera P6

Prima WBS.2.3 Topsides

Prima WBS.2.3.1 Structural Engineering and Drafting