Negative Float for a Project

5 replies [Last post]
Mohamed Khaled
User offline. Last seen 6 days 1 hour ago. Offline
Groups: None

Currently I have a project which I am working on with Starting Date 1/jun/17 and Finishing Date 1/jun/19. As a result of some delayments during cinstruction its showing - ve Float value. I know I cant just edit the date or change the baseline date as well.

Cause in the end it depends on the data date entry. Therefore I would apperciate if anyone could guide me to find a solution for this issue. A way by wish I can reducde that float or make it even a +ve value would be much better.

Looking Forward to hear from you guys soon. 

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 22 min ago. Offline

you shoudl do it manually and you may have to do several iterations. 

Mohamed Khaled

Dear Zoltan,

Thank you for your replay.

I went throught your suggestions and I guess fast tracking the schedule would be better than crashing the schedule.

I would like to know if there is an option to do the fast tracking or It shall be done manually and which type of activites you would suggest to go do this action for.

Yours,

Mohamed Khaled

Mohamed Khaled

Dear Tom, 

Thank you for your reply I have discuessded it with my boss and we agreed to remove some relations whichs arent related to construction field in order to reduce the delay.

Appreciate your reply.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 50 min ago. Offline

M'hd, Welcome to PP.

The number 1 way to eliminate negative float is to remove all late (FOB, SOB) constraints, including the "project must finish by" date in the project record.  If there is still negative float after removing all late constraints, then make sure all activities use the same calendar.

Notes:

1. Constraints and multiple activity calendars are used for very good reasons.  Removing them may change your schedule (and your boss's mood) in a big way.

2. In most cases, negative float is forecasting a failure to meet a contractual commitment.  Hiding it is never a good policy.  It's better to either a) Get an agreed Extension of Time so the commitment dates/constraints can be relaxed; or b) revise the plan (with management agreement) to recover the delay; or c) continue to show late completion with negative float and accept the consequences.  [Refer to Zoltan's suggestions for b.]

Good luck.   

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 22 min ago. Offline

you have 3 options

1. crashing the schedule 

2. fast tracking the schedule 

3. a combination of 1 and 2

Fast Tracking VS Crashing the Schedule

Fast Tracking the schedule means to Revise the logic and do thing concurrently or in parallel which means that your manpower peak will be higher but it will be the same number of man-hours except for additional supervision.

A good rule of thumb is that sequential activities can sometimes be fast-tracked by up to 33%. In other words, if you're fast-tracking, you can start the second of two sequential activities when the first activity is 66% complete. So when you are 66% complete with the first conduit activity you can start the wire pulling.

Crashing the schedule means to reduce your durations but you will have to increase your man-hours because you need more men to do it in a shorter amount of time. You would shorten the duration of the activities on the critical path by throwing additional resources to the critical path without necessarily getting the highest level of efficiency. You might have to do several iterations because you crash one critical path then something else becomes critical. You will have increased cost in with this option