Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Negative float and project end dates

3 replies [Last post]
Karim Soliman
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

On a schedule for a construction project I have created a LOE activity called 'monthly meetings'. This activity has its own caldendar with only 2 working days every month.

I have a start milestone for 'construction start' and a finish milestone for 'construction end'. To set up the LOE activity correctly, should I add the Construction Start as a predecessor with SS relationship and Construction end as successor with FF relationship?

I tried this and it gives me negative float.....!

Thanks

Karim

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 4 hours ago. Offline

the only thing that could be wrong is that the activity type is NOT a LOE

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 4 hours ago. Offline

the only thing that could be wrong is that the activity type is NOT a LOE

Karim Soliman
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Hello again,

I've managed to find out what the issue is - I had set a constraint on the project end date....so now that this is fixed I have another problem:

I have another LOE activity called 'supervision'. I have set the predecessor to this activity as the 'construction start milestone' with a date of July 2016 (SS relation), and the successor as 'construction finish milestone' with a date of August 2019 (FF relation).

When I press F9 to reschedule the project the 'supervision' activity only shows a duration of 5 days. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Karim