Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Urgent question - How to setup multiple Production units with multiple operations?

1 reply [Last post]
Usama Baig
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Everyone - I am fairly new to primavera and project planning in general. Up until recently, I have only been tasked with maintains project plans that has already been created. But a couple of days ago i was tasked with detailing out an existing plan and was giving only 2 days to do it. I am kind of stumped on how to go about setting it up properly, so I don't have to keep changing the format/layout of the project. So here is the task at hand:

My company produces 6 different types of widgets (Type A, B, C, D, E, F). We have an order of 2000 widgets, which are spread across all 6 types. up until now the project was laid out so the WBS for Manufacturing had 6 activity lines (one for each type of widget) and we were using %complete to update those 6 activities. I am now tasked with detailing this plan out so I can show every one of the 2000 widgets and the production steps underneath it. So the WBS should look something like this:

MANUFACTURING

WIDGET TYPE A

WIDGET 1

Operation 1

Operation 2

Operation 3

WIDGET 2

WIDGET 3

WIDGET TYPE B

WIDGET 4

WIDGET 5

What is the best way to set this up? Remember i have 2000 widgets with 8 operations under each widget. Should I make 2000 WBS levels? Should I use activity codes to label each widget? Any information anyone can provide would be helpful. If there are any resources someone can direct me to that would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

activity codes would be the way to go