Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

GLOBAL CHANGE to calculate remaining labor units

14 replies [Last post]
Danielle Small
User offline. Last seen 7 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

Every week, we have to ensure that the remaining labor units are the same as estimate to complete labor units.  Please can someone advise the calculation to apply a global change so that the Remaining Labor Units field is overwritten and replaced with the figures from Estimate to Complete Labor Units field.

The Auto Complete Actuals function does not work.

Many thanks,

Danielle

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Danielle,

Yes, I suspected not. I am afraid you will have to read my rather lenghty PDF document that addresses this issue. I need an email addres for you, as I think the PP email system does not alow attached documents.....

Danielle Small

Unfortunately not David...I really appreciate your help! :)

We want to show the budget - earned hours in the Remaining Labor Units.  The example that I have sent you shows the calculation: Budget - Actual in the Remaining Labor Units column

For example:

Structural Engineering for Detail Design activity should show 7 hours for Remaining Labor Units

Structural Design for Detail Design activity should show 16 hours for Remaining Labor Units

Danielle Small

Unfortunately not David...I really appreciate your help! :)

We want to show the budget - earned hours in the Remaining Labor Units.  The example that I have sent you shows the calculation: Budget - Actual in the Remaining Labor Units column

For example:

Structural Engineering for Detail Design activity should show 7 hours for Remaining Labor Units

Structural Design for Detail Design activity should show 16 hours for Remaining Labor Units

David Kelly

Danielle,

I am not competely clear...... are we done? Do you have the result you want? 

Danielle Small

Thank you David,

We calculate remaining manhours;  budget - earned manhours.  I have deselected the "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes" and selected the "ETC = remaining cost for activity" in the WBS section Technique for computing Estimate to Complete.  The remaining labor units still show the budgeted manhours - timesheet actuals.

Please see screenshot below:

picture1.jpg

Danielle Small

Thank you David,

We calculate remaining manhours;  budget - earned manhours.  I have deselected the "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes" and selected the "ETC = remaining cost for activity" in the WBS section Technique for computing Estimate to Complete.  The remaining labor units still show the budgeted manhours - timesheet actuals.

Please see screenshot below:

picture1.jpg

David Kelly

Danielle

You have the remaining hours calculation set to be the At completion hours (which will originally been set to the same as Budget) minus the actual timesheet hours. This is "normal"

But with the "Recalculate actual cost and units when duration % complete changes" set, every time Duration % compete changes, the actual hours field where you type the timesheet hours will be overwritten.

Now, just because all of your activites are Physical % compete does NOT mean they do not have a value for Duration % complete.  Every time you change a started activity's remaining duration, you change its Duration % compete ( they are in essence the same thing) and the actual hours will be recalculated. Then the remaining hours will be recalculated as well as the At completion minus the pretendy actual hours it just calculated. 

So if you untick that flag, the question remains about how do you measure Remaining hours?  

Danielle Small

1) Percent Complete Type = Physical (Selected for all activities)

2) Duration Type = Fixed Duration & Units (Selected for all activities)

3) Calculations Tab Settings = 'Subtract Actual from At Completion', 'Link Actual and Acual This Period Units and Cost' (Selected for all projects)

4) We manually enter time-sheet actuals to resources 

Danielle Small

1) Percent Complete Type = Physical (Selected for all activities)

2) Duration Type = Fixed Duration & Units (Selected for all activities)

3) Calculations Tab Settings = 'Subtract Actual from At Completion', 'Link Actual and Acual This Period Units and Cost' (Selected for all projects)

4) We manually enter time-sheet actuals to resources 

David Kelly

“Remaining manhours not calculating properly”….

OK :

1) what percent complete type are your activities

2) what Duration type are the majority of activities

3) In the Project screen, within the Calculations tab on the right hand side there is a section Resource assignments with two radio buttons and three tick boxes, what position are they in?

4) do you record time-sheet hours booked from to activities to calculate productivity?

David Kelly

“Remaining manhours not calculating properly”….

OK :

1) what percent complete type are your activities

2) what Duration type are the majority of activities

3) In the Project screen, within the Calculations tab on the right hand side there is a section Resource assignments with two radio buttons and three tick boxes, what position are they in?

4) do you record time-sheet hours booked from to activities to calculate productivity?

Danielle Small

Thank you very much for the advice David.

We are using the Estimate to Complete function as the remaining manhours were not being calculated correctly.  Our settings are as follows:

WBS function - Technique for computing Estimate to Complete (ETC) 

PF=1 selected

We use the Estimate to Complete Labor Units field to identify the remaining manhours.  

Can you suggest a setting that needs to be selected to calculate the remaining manhours correctly?

Many thanks,

Danielle

Danielle Small

Thank you very much for the advice David.

We are using the Estimate to Complete function as the remaining manhours were not being calculated correctly.  Our settings are as follows:

WBS function - Technique for computing Estimate to Complete (ETC) 

PF=1 selected

We use the Estimate to Complete Labor Units field to identify the remaining manhours.  

Can you suggest a setting that needs to be selected to calculate the remaining manhours correctly?

Many thanks,

Danielle

David Kelly

Auto Compute Actuals works exactly as described in the documentation, but I am unclear if that complaint is part of the first query?

Anyway. Remaining labour units are “owned” at the resource assignment level, the figure you see in an activity layout is the summary of the underlying resource assignment records.

Earned value fields, such as estimate to complete, may be calculated at the resource assignment level, but the data is ONLY held and therefore “owned” at the activity level (no, I don’t know why either)

So you need a global change that will read data from one table, and write it to another

Global Change will only address ONE database table at a time. No global change can say Remaining Labour Units = Estimate to complete Labour units.

However your query is an odd one….because P6 is “built” for a world where only once we know remaining labour units, we can calculate estimate to complete labour units, and you seem to be needing to do the sums the other way round?