Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to Set Revised Baseline with Actual Progress ?

3 replies [Last post]
Lahiru Prasad
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I'm new to this Site. So this topic might have already discussed before. 

My management wants to set up a recovery program for the Project after couple of months. But after I "Restore", "Manage" and "Assign" the program, the new dates of my Baseline is not displaying the actual dates which have been there.

After seaching in internet I found that one solution may be to do a Global Change by making 

Planned Start = Start

Planned Finish = Finish

But how to perform this is not clear.

Can someone please explain me how to solve this.

Thanks in advance

Replies

Lahiru Prasad

Dear Zoltan,

Thanks once again for your kind consideration.

The Revision of the program has been done and agreed by everybody. The Problem I'm facing is to assign this revised program as my baseline.

It seems similar to this issue

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/primavera-version-pm5-pm6/421319/how-set-baseline-after-revised-schedule-and

My this new baseline shows the planned dates instead of actual dates  after assigning (For the activities which already started)

Here the final solution given was to do a Global Change, which I'm not familier with. (ie - Planned Start=Start, Planned Finish=Finish).

Hope you will help me to overcome this.

BR

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I have no idead what you are doing. Make the recovery schedule and get the float back to zero.

Copy that schedule and make that schedule the NEW baseline and go from there

Lahiru Prasad

Dear Zoltan,

Thank you for your reply. 

As you said the responsibility for the delay lies with our company. Hence the management advised me to prepare this recovery program in order to catch up the delays.

I've made Changes ( by Increase the resources and reducing the duration of the balance works) to my current updated Program

Now in order to see the progress from this revised program I tried to assign this revised updated program as my new Baseline. Then the problem occurs.

After assigning When I check the Planned Start Date/ Planned Finished Date, it displays different dates (all those activities which started before or after the initial Baseline Dates shows this slippage).

Really appreciate your help to solve this problem.

BR

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Not sure what you are doing but that is not how to make a revovery schedule. A recovery schedule is necessary when you fall significantly behind schedule. First you must identify who is responsible for the slippage if it your company then you have 3 options to recover the schedule. BUT YOU START WITH YOUR CURRENT SCHEDULE NOT YOUR BASELINE.

Option #1 Fast Track

Fast Tracking the schedule means to Revise the logic and do thing concurrently or in parallel which means that your manpower peak will be higher but it will be the same number of man-hours except for additional supervision.

A good rule of thumb is that sequential activities can sometimes be fast-tracked by up to 33%. In other words, if you're fast-tracking, you can start the second of two sequential activities when the first activity is 66% complete. So when you are 66% complete with the first conduit activity you can start the wire pulling.

Option #2 Crash 

Crashing the schedule means to reduce your durations but you will have to increase your man-hours because you need more men to do it in a shorter amount of time. You would shorten the duration of the activities on the critical path by throwing additional resources to the critical path without necessarily getting the highest level of efficiency. You might have to do several iterations because you crash one critical path then something else becomes critical. You will have increased cost in with this option

Option #3

Is a combination of options #1 and options #2