Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing excel into p6 Using activities with multiple resources

4 replies [Last post]
Simon Hegarty
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hopefully someone can help

I have exported from the resource and resource assignments from p6 into excel

and i have changed a number of the quanitites (ensuring the numbers remain as labels)

however, when i import the excel file back in,it only seems to populate 1 resource against each activity, ignoring the others

can anyone advise

thanks

Simon Hegarty

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

not sure what you mean by resource type but if you are saying that you have two DIFFERENT resource names with the same type or resource such as LABOR I do not see how this is possible.

However if you are saying that you have 2 of the SAME resource names with the same type of resource such as labor then go to Projects directory 

make sure that your project is highlighted

click on Resources and at the bottom right make under Resource Assignments sure that Resources can be assigned to the same activity more than once is NOT checked.

Simon Hegarty
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Zolton

Many thanks for your response, having gone through your check list it appears to have worked!

I can now import multiple resources against individual back in from excel now as long as the resource types are different.

The only issue now is it still doesnt work if the resource type is the same.

However, your solution has provided me with a possible alternative way, so many thanks Zoltan.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

make sure that you have the rights to import resources

make sure that the duration is not zero

make sure that calcualte costs from units is NOT checked

when importing ONLY import resorce ASSIGNMNETS becasue the resource is already there 

Abilash Palakkada...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Sometimes I have also faced this trouble especially with new assignments. So I used to ensure all of the resources are assigned to all activities and keep budget labour unit as zero. 

Later we can update the budgeted labor units based on the weight factor and this we can import. Sometime this will also not work properly; then just re-import the same few times.

The activities with zero budgeted labor can be removed at later stage.