Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

how to import from ms project to primavera

2 replies [Last post]
Ahmet Tuter
User offline. Last seen 2 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello

I have MS project 2013 and Primavera P6 latest version

I made a schedule with MS Project and now I want to import to primavera. Used two method below but nothing worked.

Method 1)

I tried to export MS Project to excel. and then import from excel to primavera. (First of all the excel 2007 format didnt work. I realized it has to be 97-2003 compatible excel file.) so anyways i saved my excel file in 97-2003 compatible format and then i clicked import in primavera.

but it gave me the following message

"the user preferences used to create this excel file could not be found. importing this file could corrupt your data. please check help for more information about importing data from excel. are you sure you want to continue?" and then i hit yes but nothing got imported.

why did this not work? what should I do?

Method 2)

I saved my MS Project file as XML. And then in primavera I hit import and then MS Project and then XML. Then I select the file and then there are two options (which I dont know what for). I tried both MSP mapping and TRW mapping. None of them worked. It seems to import it but then it says "completed with errors". and nothing comes up in primavera.

why did this not work? what should I do?

Question 1) why did method 1 or 2 not work? what should I have done?

Question 2) before importing in primavera i started a new clean blank file and i arranged its columns the same order as the incoming file. was this necessary or not?

Question 3) there seems to be another option of mpx file. but i dont have that file format. how can we save our MS Project files in mpx format? and may be that will work?

Question 4) which is the easiest cleanest method for me? (in the foreseeable future i dont expect to have very large files  or projects)

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

If the file is an MPP you will have to convert it to an mpx or have it saved as an mpx. There are free conversion programs out there let me know if you cant find one.

There is one form Primavera

http://www.projectstatus.com/pub/PubFiles/MppToMpx.exe

and the other is from smart works

http://smartworks-mpp-2-ppr-converter.software.informer.com/

Ahmed Aziz
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Ahmed

I think this thread will be helpful 

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/microsoft-project/416470/converting...

Regards,

Aziz