Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Compacting Oracle Express Database

2 replies [Last post]
Hugh Murray
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

I have filled my Oracle Database Express to about 80% fill and do not wish to excedd the size limit (done that before!)

Consequently I have Exported and the Deleted about 50% of the projects that I have in the database.

I then compacted the database, but there is no change in the size of the databse.

I then tried backing it up, and doing a restore on what should be a smaller database, this still reurned the same size database.

I have since copied another project and the database size has grown so I believe that even though I have removed projects thiis has actually not freed up any more space.

I am currently running P6 on a laptop in stanadalone mode.

Primaver P6 Version 7.0.0 (Build #: 00000092)

Database : Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 32 bit

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5Ghz

4GB Ram

Replies

Hugh Murray
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Thanks,

Tried this over the weekend and still no joy.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hugh,

You need to leave your laptop plugged-in and running over the weekend.  Items that you delete are only marked for deletion.  P6 ignores these records until them.  A periodical maintenance routine is run (by default once a week on Saturday) that actually deletes the marked records and compacts the database.  I am not sure of the time of day on Saturday this background process is executed.

I suppose that you could change the date that you computer is using to Saturday and run it early.  I have never actually tried that.

Oh, by the way: The current P6 Version 7 is using Service Pack 5.  Service Pack 0 is not going to cut it.