Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 - Can one Role have >1 resource assigned to it on the same activity?

5 replies [Last post]
Ferrandi Makka
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Using P6 R8.3 (and newby). If i require two artisans to work on one job, how do I show this in P6.

1. Do I add a role and then assign the two artisans to that role? Because I cannot. I can only assign one resource to the role.

2. Do I create two Roles and assign an artisan (resource) to each role?

3. Do I increase the usage from 100% to 200% (for a full day/shift each artisan)

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you can assign 2 resource and 2 roles

or

you can assign 1 resource and one role but for 1 day activity make the hours 16 instead of 8 

Ashlyn angel
User offline. Last seen 7 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
 To change a primary resource assignment to an activity The first resource you assign to an activity is automatically identified as the activity's primary resource. When more than one resource is assigned to an activity, complete the following steps to change the primary resource assignment, or to add a new assignment as the primary resource. If the Primary Resource column is not displayed in the Activity Table, click Customize Activity View on the Activities toolbar to customize the view to add it. Primary Resource is available under the Columns General category.For information about choosing the columns you want to display in the Activity Table, see Choose and organize the content of an activity view. In the appropriate activity row in the Activity Table, double-click in the Primary Resource column, then click Browse. The Select Resource dialog box displays.To quickly find a resource, type all or a portion of the resource name in the Search field. The list of resources is dynamically updated as you enter characters. Select a resource and click OK.An icon (yellow flag to represent edited activity)appears in the first column of the activity row to indicate that there are unsaved changes. To assign primary resources to other activities, repeat steps 2 and 3. When finished assigning primary resources, on the Activities toolbar, click icon to save changes (Ctrl+S) to save your changes or click icon to cancel changes (Ctrl+Z) to cancel your edits.top To assign roles to activities Tip: See Add, edit, or delete assignments to activities for instructions on adding resource and role assignments to activities using a right-click menu.In the Activity Table, right-click the activity row to which you want to assign a role.Select Assignments Assignments.In the Assignments dialog box, click Assign a Role Assign a Role.In the Select Role dialog box, expand the tree and select the role you want to assign, then click Assign. Repeat this step for each role you want to assign to the selected activity.When you are finished assigning roles to activities, click Close.Role assignments to activities are displayed in the Roles column of the Activity Table. If the Roles column is not displayed in the Activity Table, click Customize Activity View on the Activities toolbar to customize the view to add it. Roles is available under the Columns General category. When finished assigning roles, on the Activities toolbar, click icon to save changes (Ctrl+S) to save your changes or click icon to cancel changes (Ctrl+Z) to cancel your edits.   Learn Total Oracle p6 at Proventures the Best primavera p6 training institutes in hyderabad
Elshad Huseynli
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

In a Small project you can list all recources and assign them to a specific role. Such as, Elshad Huseynli to Planning Engineer

however I have worked in a company where there were more than 3.000 emplyees,it was not possible, because this number was decreasing and increasing even daily.

Beter Way is mentioned above as Scenario 2.

John Sims
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

In scenrio 1, if you are using names resource then yes assign a role to each of these resource, this will now allow you to do an analysis on the named individual as well as thier role, you can also assign a level of skill (1-5) to each role with 5. being  inexpierenced and 1. master.

In scenrio 2, if you had 2 electricians and you didnt want to put 2 named resourced on to the activity (this normally happens during tender phase when you are unsure of your project team) then you could put 1 role of electrician and change the budgeted units/time (in the resource tab), so if 1 electrician works 10h/d hours per day and you have two electricians the budgeted units/time would be 20h/d.

If you have set your activity type to 'Fixed Duration & Units', then if you change the budgeted units/time then the budgeted unts will change to suit, and vice versa if you change the budgted units.

The remaining units/time you mention is the remaining percentage of work left to be done.

Ferrandi Makka
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks John, It does. I do have follow on questions though.

Am I correct to say that in scenario 1 you have to assign a role for each named reource you which to assign; for example: I need to electricians to work on one activity

- Peter Slow with role assignment of Electrician

- John Fat with role assignment of Electrician

Correct / Incorrect

In scenario 2 I will use one role only as per example:

Actitvy (WBS) Fit new light fitting: Original Duration 2 hours (for 2 electricians)

Role: Electrician, Budgeted Hours 4 (Remaining Units/Time = 100%)

Correct / Incorrect

John Sims
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

resources can be names resource

for example:

John Sims

with a role assigned of

planning engineer

you can used named resource if you know all the names of people working on your project and you want to an analysis on that names resource, bare in mind that individual resouce can be time consuming when it comes to updating the projects.

OR

if you are planning with roles only and you have two of that role, then assign one role and change the budgeted units/time by doubling up on the units, this can be done in the resources tab, adding a role, then adding a column within that tab called budgeted units/time. This can be used if you are using a team or gang of men with the same role by mutiplying the number of men by working days (1 man working 10 hours = 10 hours, 5 men working 10 hours = 50)

I hope that helps....

John