Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Looping backwards through a 'For Each' collection

5 replies [Last post]
John Borton
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Here is the usual VBA code for looping through all tasks in a project:

For Each t In ActiveProject.Task

{code for desired action}

Next t

This loops through from the top down (as far as I can tell).

Anyone have an ideas as to how I can reverse this and go from the bottom up?

Thanks
JB

Replies

John Borton

// "In "general use," one can't reliably presume a correlation between the ID sequence and the logical sequence." //

Understood.  In this case it's a factory production schedule that by fiat gets used in a particular format over and over so I have pretty tight control on how it's sorted.

Thanks again.

JB

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 49 min ago. Offline

John,

Glad you got it sorted. 

In "general use," one can't reliably presume a correlation between the ID sequence and the logical sequence.  Still, as you've explained, this certainly seems to offer a bit of streamlining for that particular (ZFF) issue.

Rgds, t 

John Borton

That's it Tom ... THANKS.

The task.count property was the secret and this link didn't list it for whatever reason:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/project.task

A
s to its usage, I actually just successfully used it to modify your ZFFImpose function.  I've been creating schedules with tasks such that I needed to loop through multiple times to get all the float out of all the faux-ZFF relationships (programatically constraining one task simply moved the float up to the previous task requiring another run through). 

My previous schedule had a known number of these relationship layers (3) so I just looped through your code three times.  Now I have a schedule that the users might add an unknown number and I needed a more elegant solution than my previous clutz.

Going through backwards allows your code to now remove the float as far up the chain as needed in one go-round.

I'm a programming hack, so you might have come up with a cleaner solution, but this works slick as a whistle as written.

THANKS (for both the original code AND the mod)
JB

Tom Boyle

Hi John,  this will do what you ask, though I can think of no good general-use case.  Good luck, tom

Sub BackTasks()

Dim t As Task

Dim i As Long

For i = ActiveProject.Tasks.Count To 1 Step -1

Set t = ActiveProject.Tasks(i)

If Not t Is Nothing Then

'Your Code Here

End If

Next i

End Sub

Tom Boyle