Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Create an Indicator column in MS Project which measures the % complete vs % planned of each activity

5 replies [Last post]
Ruben Contter
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have developed a project plan (which includes a % complete and a % planned column) and I wish to insert 3 types of indicators to show me how I am advancing with the progress of each activity:

Green: Shows the activity is on target

Yellow: Shows that the activity is between 1%-10% behind schedule

Red: Shows that the activity is greater than 10% behind schedule

I know how to insert the indicator but I don't know what formula I can use to calculate if i'm on target or behind schedule. Any ideas?

In case you are wondering, the % complete column I inserted comes by default in project, however, the % planned is a text column which I update by clicking on "upadate project" button on the project tab which automatically updated progress % of each activity. I then copy that information onto the % planned column.

Thanks

Replies

Ian Watkin
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Something along the lines of:

IIf([% Complete]-Val([Text28])<=-10,”Red”,IIf([% Complete]-Val([Text28])<=-1,”Amber”,”Green”))

should do the trick?

Regards, Ian

Ian Watkin

Something along the lines of:

IIf([% Complete]-Val([Text28])<=-10,”Red”,IIf([% Complete]-Val([Text28])<=-1,”Amber”,”Green”))

should do the trick?

Regards, Ian

Ian Watkin

Hi Ruben, have done something like this before, and used the formula [% Complete]-Val([Text28]) & "%" to subtract planned from actual % where Text28 contains the % Planned, seems to work. You could then easily set another Text field to display graphics by setting values against test for the results.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Ian

Ruben Contter
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

yes, % planned of what needs to be completed up to the date I am consulting.

To give you some context, in order to calculate the % of planned worked in project, what I do is insert a text column (which will be my % planned column). I then press the "update project" button on the project tab which will update the percentages of each activity of my % complete column. It will indicate how much progress I should be reporting for the date I am consulting for each activity. I then copy the results of that column (% complete) and copy it onto my % planned column. This gives me a reference of what % I should be at, in other words, my planned percentage. I then manually update my % complete column with the real % of advancement I am at with each activity. For example, for a given activity, project might report that I should be at 50% based on the date I am consulting, but the reality is that I am 30% which would mean I am behind schedule. Given the aforementioned, I wish to have 3 indicators to report if i'm on target, 1%-10% behind schedule or greater than 10% behind schedule. To do this I believe I would need a formula I can use to calculate if for each activity if I am green, yellow or red.

I hope this clears the doubt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ruben

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

planned % in MS Project? was it coming from your baseline schedule or your current schedule? and how about planned % considering early or late?