Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Moving the project backward

5 replies [Last post]
Gayantha Abeywardena
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all,

I am using Ms Project 2007 Can Any body please tell me what are the steps I have to follow to move the program back wards say 20 days now the programme is set up already and I tried by changing project start date but its not moving
Please help me
GA

Replies

PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
update project in tracking tool
L.E.N. Lewis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
Not necessary. Just display the Indicators column as you were advised. Alternately, display the "Constraint Type" column -- if it contains anything other than "As Soon As Possible" then you have constraints on the task.

One other remote possibility is that the PM is playing with you (like telling new campers to go on a snipe hunt) and has given you a schedule that has been set up to schedule from the Project Finish date. (Project > Project Information and check the Schedule From date.)
Gayantha Abeywardena
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All

I have not entered any percentages this programme has prepared by one of our PM so I don’t know the way he entered the data this is small programme having 15 activities i can send you the progrmme if you can send me the mail address

GA
L.E.N. Lewis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
If you simply entered Start and/or Finish dates (a serious "no-no") then those tasks are constrained and will not move. Look to see if there is a little calendar in the Indicators column. If the calendar is there then you’ll have to double-click on the task, select the Advanced tab and change the constraint type to As Soon As Possible.

If you have entered Actuals (by changing the %Complete or by entered actual values for a task) then, again, those tasks are constrained and will not move.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
There should be no reason other than Date Constraints which will prevent you from moving the whole project into the past or into the future just by changing the Start Date in Project, Project Information.
Do you have Date Constraints?