Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Summary Status in Group View

6 replies [Last post]
Reggie Winfrey
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is there a way to show the Summary status on the Gantt Chart when the tasks are rolled up?  I know if I select "Maintain Heirarchy", I can get the summary status as well as a percent complete, but if when the tasks is rolled up to the colored group summary, the status isn't shown on the summary bar.

Replies

Reggie Winfrey

Tom,

Hopefully, this picture comes across so can see what I'm trying to do. I can't paste it. Would mind mind sending me an email and I'll reply with a picture of what I'm trying to do?  My email: da_raw1@yahoo.com

Reggie Winfrey

Tom,

Hopefully, this picture comes across so can see what I'm trying to do. I can't paste it. Would mind mind sending me an email and I'll reply with a picture of what I'm trying to do?  My email: da_raw1@yahoo.com

Reggie Winfrey

Tom,

Thank you very much.  I will try the formula.  I tried to post a picture of the file, but I couldn't do it.  But it seems like you get what I'm trying to do. Thanks again.

Reggie Winfrey

Tom,

Thank you very much.  I will try the formula.  I tried to post a picture of the file, but I couldn't do it.  But it seems like you get what I'm trying to do. Thanks again.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Reggie, I guess you are interested in the task "Status" field, which indicates whether a task is "Complete", "On Schedule", "Late", or "Future Task" - all computed without regard to any baseline.  (In my opinion, this field has meaning only for those who measure progress against a static schedule and do not rely on it for future forecasting - like the "Progress Line" feature.  This is not a workflow that most professional project planners would apply. I never use it.)

I think the Status field is not computed for group summaries because - unlike summary tasks - they do not have an assigned or inherited calendar.  Here is a formula for a custom text field that does pretty much the same calculation using the task Project Calendar for group summaries.  Just make sure the "Calculation for task and group summary rows" for this custom field is set to "Use formula."    

IIf([ID]>-1,IIf([% Complete]=100,"Complete",IIf([Start]>[Status Date],"Future Task",IIf([Actual Start]=ProjDateValue("NA"),"Late",IIf(ProjDateAdd([Actual Start],[Actual Duration])>=DateValue([Status Date]),"On Schedule","Late")))),IIf([% Complete]=100,"Complete",IIf([Start]>[Status Date],"Future Task",IIf([Actual Start]=ProjDateValue("NA"),"Late",IIf(ProjDateAdd([Actual Start],[Actual Duration],[Project Calendar])>=DateValue([Status Date]),"On Schedule","Late")))))

This formula has matched the task status for all tasks in an ongoing project of mine, but your mileage may vary.

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Reggie,

What do you mean by summary status? Which fields are you after.

=jerome