Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Optimizing Schedules in Microsoft Project 2013 using Finish-to-Finish Relationships

5 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Here's an article that discusses how to optimize schedules in Microsoft Project 2013 using Finish-to-Finish Relationships http://ow.ly/E9YzN

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi, Emily.

"You are, of course, quite right and we have made the corrections and updated the screen shots."

Thank goodness I have never made a mistake in my life! Magnus Carlsen, on the other hand, with about a billion people watching the World Championship, just made a blunder that most rank amateur chessplayers would have avoided. What an idiot he must feel like! Except that his opponent, the great former champion Vishy Anand, also blundered by overlooking the opportunity and Magnus won the game anyway!

I do strongly urge you (and Magnus! And Vishy!) to be more like me and to acquire infallibility. (Well, except for that one time... oh, and that one... and maybe that... Oh wait, that was the time I thought I was wrong but that I turned out to be right after all!)  

This is a tough crowd in here. The vast majority of people would not know enough about the topic to recognize that you made a little error.

You too have a great weekend.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Emily, people become used to the low quality of materials that you publish. Please check them before the publication.

By the way ALAP works different way in MSP, so Mike's proposal is not correct.

In any case do not call these workarounds optimization. This word has different meaning.

Regards,

Vladimir

Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Well spotted, we were wondering who would find those errors first :-)

You are, of course, quite right and we have made the corrections and updated the screen shots. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Emily

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Emily

A few problems apart from the fact that linear projects are best set in Time / Distance software.

Microsoft Project was better when FF links were not allowed.

The insulation task has no predecessor so will not show critical.

The same scenario can be created using only FS links and an ALAP on the insulation.

A minor quible curing lead lags have to be set on a 24/7 calendar.

Best regards

Mike Testro