Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path on Complete Project

6 replies [Last post]
John Kelly
User offline. Last seen 10 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys & Gals

Quick question, does anyone know how i can find what the 'driving' activities are for a programme that is essentially complete? I have a programme that is marked up as complete (all activities are 100%) and i am trying to establish whats was driving the project completion, i have tried to trace the logic back but some activities have numerous predecessors making it very time consuming.

The 'Task Driver's function doesn't seem to work when the programme is effectively complete nor does the 'Critical Path' filter?

Any ideas

Thanks in Advance

JK

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

No, I meant the original version of the completed & progressed programme. -I've ammended my previous post to make it more clear.

Thanks for pointing out the potential for confuision,

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Gary

Just a small point.

When your point 3) you say "go back to the original" would that be the original baseline before any progress was added?

If so then that would show the original critical path.

Best regtards

Mike Testro

AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Kelly,

Mike Gave you the Simplest Solution.I Would Also Suggest the same.Change Completed % From 100% to 0% and the Reschedule it, Taking Project Start Date as "Data Date".You'll Get The Critical Path.

Best Regards,

John Kelly
User offline. Last seen 10 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Mike apologies for hitting the save button and duplicating posts, i can assure you it was by mistake and i have absolutely no intention of boosting my content count (whatever that is) nor wasting anyones time, i am here to pick the brains of fellow planners.  Unfortunately MSP is the software of choice for this contractor so needs must!!!

Gary thanks for taking the time to reply, i'll follow your instructions and let you know

Many thanks

JK

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

John,

It's very easy to remove progress from MS Project programmes -just use the fill down option on your % complete column.

But once you've done this, you will only get the "true" critical path flowing back from project completion up to the point when you first encounter an activity didn't start as soon as the logic allowed.

To explain: If an activity had an FS(0) predecessor which allowed it to start on 5th October, but for whatever reason it didn't start until 8th October, unless the original updater aded a new activity to represent this 3d delay, then one of two things will happen when rolling back the programme and looking for the critical path:

1) If the orignal updater entered the actual start date, and then applied the progress (actual duration or % complete), there will be a start no earlier than constrain applied to the activty when you roll back the progress, and earlier activities in the "critical" path will have at least 3d slack

2) If the original updater entered the progress first, and then changed the start date, rolling back the progress will mean the programme reverts to the "as planned" dates, so the dates for this activity will be brought forward 3d, meaning it may not now appear on the critical path at all.

So What I think you actually want to do is:

1) take a copy of the completed & progressed programme

2) Roll back all progress on the copy using fill down on the % compelte column

3) Go back to the original completed & progressed programme, and copy all the start and end dates, then paste these into the copy. This will give you lots of start no earleir than constraints

4) Go the earliest critical activity, and find the predecessor with the least slack, insert a task between them called "Delay event A" with a duration euqal to the rpecedessors slack.

5) Repeat until you have the full critical path

I don't use MSP much, and have never had to do what I've just suggested. Sounds like it'd be a bit of a ball-ache, but that's delay analysis for you!

Hope this makes snese and good luck -let us know how you get on.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi John

Firstly please only hit the save button once - I have had to take out three of your duplicate threads which is a waste of my time and an unofficial boost to your content count.

Now to your query.

When a task is set 100% complete any ligic attached to it is nullified so when a whole project is 100% complete then the no ligic remains at all.

The only way to trace the original logic is to remove all progress and reschedule.

This is very easy in Asta Powerproject when 0% can be copy pasted on all tasks in 10 seconds.

In P3 it is impossible.

Maybe it can be done in MSP but I have little time for such light weight software.

Best regards

Mike Testro