Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Reference Books

7 replies [Last post]
Mal Leadbetter
User offline. Last seen 10 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Due to a change in clients I am now back using MS Project. I am a bit rusty with regards to MS Project having used PowerProject for the last 4 years.

I am looking for a reference guide/book for using MSP, something that covers some of the more advanced features rather than how to create a plan etc.

Especially interested in the customisation and multiple projects, resource pools etc.

Currently using MSP2002 standard, this may change to 2007 standard in the near future

Any reccomendations ?

Replies

Mal Leadbetter
That will one of the options.

At the moment its more to do with multiple projects, resources, consolidated files, calculated fields, export to Excel etc etc.

I can use MSP to do all of the above, but would like to know more of pitfalls, tips & tricks.

We are not in a MSP Server environment yet, but could see that happening at some stage in the distant future

I suspect sucj a reference book only existing the heads of people who have done the above, but no harm in asking

Cheers
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Mal,

How advanced do you want to get?

You could try VBA Programming for Microsoft Office Project by Rod Gill.

Regards,

Darren
Mal Leadbetter
Darren / Brad

Thanks for the replies

Am in same position. Have been using PowerProject for last 4 years. However, a change in the situation with regards to our contract and services means a change in planning software as MSP is their standard planning package.

Therefore, no point in knocking it blah blah. Its what I have to use. Therefore, need to develop a greater understanding of the more adavanced features.

Anyone else with other suggestions

Cheers
Darren Kosa
Brad,

True, it’s no Primavera but it serves a purpose for projects that don’t want to, or can’t afford to spend a great deal of money on planning applications.

From a selfish point of view I wouldn’t want to go back to MS Project or Primavera if I’d been using PowerProject for four years, but I guess you’ve got to play the hands you’re dealt.

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
its a bucket of shit no matter what you do with it
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
If you want to share resource pools you create a new project
Go to resource sheet, and list your resources, do not create any projects, once you have done this you create new plans and to use the shared resource poo goto

tools, resource sharing, shared resources, once there a box will appear, you need to point to the shared resource pool plan you originally setup.

to be honest most of the things you need try the help option (done mean to teach you to suck eggs)

anyway good luck

Darren Kosa
Hi Mal,

I’ve always found Dynamic Scheduling: With Microsoft Office Project 2003 by Eric Uyttewaal to be a useful reference. It’s MS Project 2k3 rather than 2k2, but I don’t think there’s a great deal of difference between the versions.

Special Edition Using Microsoft Project 2003 by Tim Pyron is pretty good as well, but probably aimed at the new/intermediate user.

I’m sure Paul Harris also has a book(s) out for MS Project, but I haven’t read any so can’t recommend them.

Regards,

Darren