Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP2003 not honouring out of sequence logic

26 replies [Last post]
Paul Smith
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Planning: you have 4 activities in a chain followed by a milestone. Milestone has a deadline on the planned finish date.
Status date is moved to the right so that the first 3 are overdue. Activity 4 was marked off (out of sequence) 100% complete.
To plot the true CP you run Tools ... Tracking ... Update Project ... reschedule uncompleted work to ... status date.
This shifts the first 3 tasks to the right as it should but because activity 4 is complete the milestone is not affected by the 3 others, although logically they should be taken into consideration. If this was a corporate reporting milestone nobody would be alerted to the true affect of the incomplete work on this key milestone.

How can I get MSP to honour incomplete preceeding work that skips an intermediatry complete task. OPP doesn’t have this problem.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 54 min ago. Offline
Because Primavera no longer supports SureTrak maybe we will end up using MS Project.

I have been looking around for some add on software for the issue of out-of-sequence. I found Steelray Project Analyzer (SPA), a product which might be of interest, although somewhat pricey; http://www.steelray.com/spag2.html

This product provides for file comparison in a way MS Project cannot, this plus the ability to create reports on out-of-sequence activities is a combo I could not find elsewhere. If you know/have a similar product, at a lower cost, please let us know.

We are still struggling with the following issues:
==========================================================================================================
1) Task ID control by the user as we don’t like the unique Id concept.
2) The limitation in MS Project not allowing for a task to have more than one link to the same predecessor.
3) How to identify and override constraint changes by MS Project updates where delayed activities are moved by the creation of a new constraint that sometimes overrides previous constraints. After an update undo won’t do it at an individual activity level.
If any of you knows/have a product that solve any of these issues please let us know. We would prefer (over time consuming / cumbersome procedures) solutions anyone could follow.

Rafael Davila
Rafael Davila
To SureTrak users:
I figure it out; there is a script / (Basic Executables Type) for out-of-sequence report it is SEQUENCE.sbx It is not documented under help menu maybe because it is on Service Pack 3. I just added this and BASELINE.sbx for multiple baselines and XCONST.SBX for external constraints into the custom tool menu for easy retrieval. You can download SureTrak service pack 3 (STSrvPck3.exe) from the following link.
http://www.projectstatus.com/pub/
Still missing a report on Activities with unsatisfied and/or unachievable constraints.

To my MS Project Friends:
Good luck, don’t give up.
Rafael Davila
Paul:

By trial and error I managed to copy the referenced script into the visual basic editor (Alt+F11) within the sample schedule. I ran the macro following the instructions and created a filter for the field "Marked", whatever it is for, who knows! And it worked, using MS Project 2007. I am sure you can make the macro global as well as the filter. Thereafter you will only have to run the macro and then the filter. Or even better, record a macro to run the script/macro and then run the filter with a single click.
Still pending modifications to the macro for finish-start relationships with lag, this got to be by our missing in action IT friends.

Paul Smith
As far as the filter thing goes, MSP has 2 composite or blended views which connect the activity tables to the resource tables, namely ’Task Usage’ and ’Resource Usage’.

OPP does this blended view thing (called ’Cross Table’ views in OPP) for resource to activity but also allows for activity to relationship data tables cross linking (MSP does not).

In OPP once you have both tables blended on the one view you can filter an attribute of the activity table (eg. activity 100%) AND an attribute of the relationship table (eg. predecessor not 100%)

In MSPs blended views you can only use activity filters OR resource filters, but not both.

I think I’m truly stuck, the only way to find these problems is to export MSP to OPP, find them then fix in the source schedule.
Paul Smith
Plot thickens,

I’ve just done a similar test on MSP2007. Out of the box it behaves the same as ’03 but I haven’t found any defaults I can change ... yet.

Rafael Davila
Maybe a filter for activities that have already started, where any predecessor were not 100% this in order not to leave out those activities that already are out of sequence but not finished yet. But seems I also cannot get those fields within the filters tool.

Perhaps in SureTrack a script would do it. SureTrak help says scripting is a piece of cake. Well, for me it is not. Wish some of our IT friends’ could give us a hand.

For MS Project I just found this reference:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.project/browse_thread/th...

I am not giving up, what you are asking I don’t see it as a “goodie” anymore but a "must have". Yes we got to get these little rascals.
Rafael Davila
I believe Out-of-Sequence Issues are not automatically solved by any of the available CPM Scheduling Software. This statement will be validated if no-one provides us with the “magic bullet”.
I don’t know how MS Project handles the issue but Suretrak and P3 as a first line of action provides us with two options, “Progress Override” or “Retained Logic”, P6 does provides a third option. Neither of these options will necessarily yield an accurate depiction of the project status and future activity sequences.
My method of preference is “Progress Override” as this will schedule out-of-sequence chains starting at the Update/Data Date, making them easier to detect in case your software do not provides you with out of sequence reports. Under either method you will sometimes have to adjust schedule logic.
Unfortunately some contracts do require you to use “Retained Logic” which might hide out-of-sequence, in addition go as far as not allow you to adjust schedule logic. If enforced, most probably the schedule updates at some point will be in error as out-of sequence issues are common.
By the way, for your knowledge, I ran the schedule within Suretrak, and not my favorite option, "Retained Logic" yielded expected results.

Paul Smith
This is all healthy debate and I’m sure we will all agree there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Can I drag us back to the original question:
If an act of God (or someone who thinks they are a god) causes an OOS event to occurr, is there any settings I have missed in MSP2003 to make it honor logic past the imediate predecessor and show the impact of incompleted work on a critical path?
Hi Gary,
you wrote: A thought just occured to me: Would a new relationship type which constrained one activity not to occur in parallel with another be useful for this type of situation?
It can be simulated by assigning the same limited resource to these activities and levelling the project. New type of relationship is not necessary.
Regards,
Vladimir
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
It is a good point you make about being able to differentiate between CPM and resource DRAG.

There is also the point that if you build a schedule in the manner I was suggesting, you are saying to the guys at the coalface that some of these sequences are mandatory and some not, and relying on their training / experience / supervisors to distinguish between the two, which must increase the risk of Trevor’s jackhammer moment.

In fact, you can probably add ’previous experience of planners like me’ to the list of reasons why OOS occur!

So I concede defeat here, gents. I had previously eschewed using start no earlier constraints for this type of scenario as the constraint date needs to be monitored everytime you progress the schedule, which is a lot of manual work and opportunities for error if you’re running a big schedule without resource levelling. On reflection though i can see (as in so many cases!) it’s worth putting the extra manhours into the planning to reduce the project risks.

A thought just occured to me: Would a new relationship type which constrained one activity not to occur in parallel with another be useful for this type of situation? Is that similar to this ’reverse logic link’ you describe, Steve? Possibly also useful for situations where you have mutiple tasks occuring in limited space and don’t want various trade tripping over each other? It’s really a bit a fudge to get around resource levelling I suppose, but might still fill a need. I’m struggling to get my head around any implications on calculating float, though.

Thanks to both of you, Trevor & Steve. I’m a better planner for your comments. -Chalk another one up for the PP fraternity!
Gary Whitehead
A mech eng has to design a pump and a compressor for a project. When the plan is developed, the pump is ID’d as longer procurement leadtime, hence scheduled first to maximise float.
Whilst speaking to pump suppliers, he learns that lead-times have dropped significantly, and works on the compressor first instead, which is now more critical.
That is OOS working and justifyable. This is using initiative and definitely not sabotage.
He could have instead informed the planner of the change in pump lead-times, waited for him to input that into his schedule, analyse the impact, do a couple of what-ifs to see how the impact on float can be minimised, agree with PM and issue the engineer with a new schedule telling him he should work on the compressor instead. Depending on how slick your processes are, that could be an hours delay or it could be a few days. Either way it is unecessary delay.
So long as the planner / PM is informed of the change in leadtimes & activity sequence as part of the normal update process, it is not a problem.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that many logical links are there in the schedule not becuase A MUST happen before B, but because given the info avaiable at the time, it made sense for A to happen before B. Planners will not always be the first to know when new information comes to light, and they are not the only ones capable of understanding how that can change the best sequence. Indeed I would EXPECT a competent and experienced project team member to adapt to changing circumstances without having to wait for the planner to tell him to do so.
These guys aren’t idiots. They are (hopefully!) well trained, well supervised, experienced proffessionals. It’s OK to trust them every once in a while.

Where OOS working becomes an issue is when the schedule is not changed to reflect it, which generally happens if the planner doesn’t notice it. If it’s a big plan with lots of activities to update, you can miss it when comparing actuals vs planned during regular update. That’s when Open Plan & Primavera’s default setting of adhering to OOS predecessor logic helps, and MSPs (apparent) lack thereof is a problem.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
I meant "Precisely, Steve".
Paul, there is always pressure to start things.
The project manager’s job is not only to make things happen but also to prevent them from happening until they are supposed to happen.
If there is no commitment to following the plan, what was the point of planning the job in the first place?
If this situation prevails, in which there is essentially no discipline, or a very relaxed attitude to it, then there will be chaos and projects will come unraveled.
If you’ve got chaos, the cause lies beyond the software.
Trevor Rabey
Precisely. I was going to ask the same thing.
If we have a CPM network model which says that task 4 cannot start until task 3 is finished, that task 3 is a (FS0) predecessor of task 4, how did task 4 get done but task 3 did not get done?
Was the predecessor link wrong in the first place?
Do people go ahead and disregard the plan (if they ever read it and understood it) and just do whatever they feel like doing?
If it was discovered that task 4 could be done without doing task 3, why wasn’t the plan changed to reflect this before task 4 was done?
Sometimes, such as in construction projects, people disregard the plan and perform "out of sequence" tasks and this is called "exercising initiative" instead of what it should be called, which is "sabotage".
Maybe in many situations it doesn’t matter if the plan is wrong but (or and) no one follows it anyway.
But if it is something important, the procedures about which task must be done first are serious business and the predecessors are there for a reason.
Suppose
task 3 = give the patient the anasthetic
task 4 = perform the operation

or

task 3 = run through the aircraft checklist
task 4 = take off

This has nothing to do with whether one or another software tool can make certain assumptions or not.

Paul Smith
Steve, PMs or planners will schedule a project with all good intentions that activities will run in a particular sequence. Some of this sequence may be the responsibility of a number of individuals or teams. As the schedule progresses some activities may slip and, ass they do, successor activities come under pressure to start (ignoring the slip of preceding activities, in order to hold schedule baseline dates).
These changes in the plan are inevitable. What should occur is that these OOS activities are identified and a management work around is factored in; changing either the logic itself, shortening duration, ’fast tracking’ or ’crashing the schedule’.
BUT ... one has to find the OOS problems first and in most tools this is blatantly obvious because the OOS logic and any unfinished work is honoured. My problem at the moment is that I’m forced to use MSP03 which seems to NOT honour OOS logic. End result is that PMs keep reporting that key milestones are "on track" when it should be obvious they are not.
EVM ... it is quite OK to complete future work and take credit in the SPI ... BUT you must realign the logic accordingly. When do you know you need to alter the logic? Well that takes us back to critical path and the OOS problem that started this thread.

Does this answer your question?
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Okay, I feel I have to ask: why does out-of-sequence work occur, and what happens when it does?

I ask because, as a consultant, I am frequently sent schedules that are slipping and am asked how to get back on schedule. And, much of the time, there are predecessors that haven’t started but their successors are finished!

When EV is being used, I understand that it is possible to (fraudulently!) show a better SPI by doing large-budget tasks out-of-sequence. But what happens when such malpractices are identified? Are those who did work OOS called to task? Is the working schedule updated to reflect the anomaly? Is the plan amended to reflect the "change"?

I ask because it seems to me that this is a real problem. As far as I’m concerned, PM fraud should be a felony, and perpetrators sent to jail! But I’m asking: how does this happen, and what are the consequences?

Fraternally in PM,

Steve D.
Gary Whitehead
Hi Trevor,
’OPP’ is Open Plan Professional, another planning package like P3 or MSP.

Yes you can "expect the software to know or assume that Task 3 is also a predecessor just because Task 3 is a predecessor to Task 4."
Most planning packages do this by default, with the option to turn it off if you’d rather.
I’d like to say I’m suprised that MSP doesn’t do this, but I have a low opinion of MSP.

Paul: Sorry, can’t help.
Trevor Rabey
Paul,
What’s "OPP"?
Where exactly is the Status Date?
Is it after the 1st 3 Tasks but before the 4th, or some way into the 4th?
Suppose the 1st 3 tasks are planned to be 1 day duration and occur on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday respectively, and the 4th task is planned to be on Thursday, and the Status Date is the end of Wednesday.
Tasks 1, 2, 3 are not done.
Task 4 is done.
If you have marked Task 4 100% Complete, MSP assumes, rightly it must and since you have not told it otherwise, that it started and finished on the planned earliest start and finish dates/times. You can see this in the Tracking Table.
Once a task has actual start and finish dates/times, that’s it, it cannot move and will not be pushed or pulled by predecessors.
Actuals are actuals, ie facts.
Notice that MSP allows you to show that a Task has progress or was completed in the future, which is impossible. So don’t do it. Use the Tracking Table to input the actuals which must have been in the past.

You seem to be saying that you expect Tasks 1, 2, 3, after they have been re-scheduled to start after the Status Date, to push Task 4, and therefore also push the milestone successor to Task 4.
The milestone only has one predecessor, that’s Task 4.
You can’t expect the software to know or assume that Task 3 is also a predecessor just because Task 3 is a predecessor to Task 4.
The easiest thing is to just explicitly make all 1, 2 ,3 predecessors of the milestone.

Hope this helps
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Wow! You ask a little question around here, and you get some great discussion! Paul and Gary, thanks for your explanations -- I now have a much better idea of how OOS tasks happen.

However, I have to agree with Trevor -- however it happens, it’s bad practice. As soon as an "unapproved" OOS event has occurred, (1) it needs to be identified, (2) either the plan or the work needs to be amended (either with MSP or with jackhammers!), and (3) future unapproved OOS events need to be vigorously discouraged.

One of the planners primary goals should be to, as much as possible, separate delays due to logic (Newtonian physics) from delays due to resource insufficiency. It’s usually a lot easier to correct the latter than the former, if not on the one project, then through a vigorous ABCP and post mortem process, on later ones. But only if delays caused by logic (CPM DRAG) are clearly distinguishable from those caused by resource bottlenecks (resource availability DRAG).

Gary, the scenario you describe, where the designer could do either one of two tasks, but not both, should be handled other than by inputting a pred-succ relationship. In the old MicroPlanner, there was a function called a "reverse logic link," where shorter path to a merge point would be scheduled earlier, and this might have worked for the case you describe. But in other packages (e.g., MSP), I think the situation is better addressed by using a no-earlier-than scheduling constraint for one of the design tasks rather than using a logic relationship that’s not based on work logic.

Not that scheduling constraints can’t also be problematic -- it’s just that their DRAG can be easily identified, whereas a resource bottleneck passing as a logic delay muddies the waters and makes it impossible to see that, by paying an extra $20,000 for an additional designer, the CP could be pulled in by four weeks at a value of $50,000 per week.

In my book, I reference a conversation that took place about 20 years ago, with the head of the program office for the F-16 in Fort Worth, Texas. "I can’t get my engineers to work to the CP! They’ll plan to it, but then either they do whatever tasks they feel like doing, or whatever gives the most earned value. The result is that the most amazing things happen! In Feb and March, the plane is on schedule and on budget -- then in April, it’s suddenly ten months late, and $15 million over budget! And it’s all because of OOS work, which then stops you from ever knowing where you really are!"

Fraternally in PM,

Steve D.
Rafael Davila
Please correct my statement about how the Progress Override option schedule start of work on the successors to the out-of-sequence activity with the statement that Progress Override, schedules start work on the successors to the out-of-sequence activity immediately after the out-of-sequence activity or after the Data/Update Date.
For an interesting article on this issue please refer to the following link:
http://www.warnercon.com/articles/Article%209%20-%20Handling%20Out-of-Se...
Here the author expresses his preference for the Progress Override option though in the literature there is an opposing view in favor of the Retained Logic option for each one in favor of this option.
Rafael Davila
Paul:

For your convinience I uploaded my test file which includes the unfinished macro. If you wish you can download it from the following link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/227505472/OOS-03.mpp.html

Will be available with the following limitations:
Your file has been saved and can now be downloaded 10 times. It will be deleted after 90 days without download. If you would like to enable more people to download your file, please transfer it to a free Collector’s Account or a Premium Account.

Still pending modifications to macro to account for SS, SF, FS and FF relationships all with lag.

Gary Whitehead
So in my example of the mechanical engieer having to design more than 1 pieces of equipment, they should all be planned to start at the same time? Obviously not. If you have a fully resourced plan, you can level and prioritise by float but if not, you have to use logical links to generate the best sequence.

Of course mistakes can happen on a project, and of course many logical links MUST be adhered to.

I have indeed seen colossal screw ups caused by poorly trained / supervised / experienced people working OOS.
I have also seen potentialy collosal screw ups avoided by well trained / supervised / experienced people working OOS because either new info has come to light, or the planner made a mistake with the links.

In an ideal project there would be a fully resourced, levelled and linked schedule to the appropriate level of detail which covers the full scope of the project plus all external factors which may impact it, is based on information which is 100% accurate and assumptions which prove to be 100% correct and developed by the perfect planner who never makes a mistake. There would also be excellent communication lines and change control processes that would enable any suggested change in sequence to be referred back to the planner and incorporated into the schedule to anlayse the implications & approve the change before that work takes place, and this process would happen quickly enough so that downtime losses are not incurred.
Only if all those conditions are met would I say that there is no conceivable situation in which OOS working is anything other than ’sabotage’.
Trevor Rabey
So I guess we agree to disagree.
If "many logical links are there in the schedule not becuase A MUST happen before B..." then they are wrong in the first place, and they are proven to be wrong because B happens before A.
If there is no reason that B cannot start on day 1, then it should be scheduled to start on day 1.
CPM is about finding out what is possible, it goes to feasibility.
The task’s start date is always the earliest start date, meaning the earliest possible start date.
The date that it actually starts can be any date after that as long as it does not soak up all of the total float on the path.
Have you never seen a colossal screw up caused by someone who decided to take it into his head to know better how the job should be done and chose to ignore the plan?
Do you know how much time and money it costs to jackhammer out 16 tonnes of concrete?
Paul Smith
Thanks Rafael,
...and hi to Raf, havent spoken for a while.
I have come to the conclusion, as Rafael points out, that while using MSP03 it can’t be fixed. Given that I have no choice but to use ’03 I need to find another way to identify these little rascals.
in OPP I would have written a compound filter looking into the relationship table for 100% activities where any predecessors were not 100%. This also (I believe) is beyond MSP’s capability ... but I will keep trying.
Rafael Davila
Mr. Dua, as others, I do remember Micro Planner software, specifically Micro Planner for the Mac., while everyone else was hooked on the DOS version of P3. I just loved it, it was available for very good price, had the ability to work either activity on arrow or activity on node networks, and many other goodies. Yes, it would be nice if we all have the option available in Micro Planner to schedule the successor dependant task at the Earliest of the earliest starts.

I believe the more of these tools to model real life situation the better. I don’t buy the statements of some “Gurus” (http://www.pmicos.org/fse.asp) that these tools are invalid because they create confusion. Sorry “ladies” we need tools that mimic real life situations.

MS Project is not my software of choice, but Paul is using MS Project. Paul asked for a way to be alerted. If we all agree that there is no way to predict the “unforeseen”, probably one of you can provide us with a practical mean to be warned of out of sequence. Also, what about a mean to filter out those activities that are out-of-sequence within the means of our software? I understand some software packages do provide for this, I am still looking in Suretrack for a direct method that is neither cumbersome nor time consuming. Maybe I can learn something from the MS Project solution I could adapt to my software.
Raphael M. Dua
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
It good to see that there are some folk out there who remember Micro Planner,

As Steve Devaux said Micro Planner has a really useful facility known as the "OR" node where if you were not certain of the logic whether A or B would start first you could specify that fact using a special event type (the OR Node) which scheduled the the successor dependent task at the Earliest of the Earliest starts and not the maximum Earliest at the node.

Micro Planner X-Pert handles OOS situations very well, knowing Trevor Rabey I find it a bit hard that he thinks running OOS is sabotage, because no matter how hard we try to keep the critical path logic up to date and correct, the PM does like it "That Way’, it’s not sabotage, it is stupidity.

Even more so is to try and use MSP to Schedule and manage large projects, as well know it is not so hot.

Steve - you may be pleased to know that last July 2008 we celebrated thirty years of writing and producing Micro Planner X-Pert we alive and well doing what we have always done.

Run real schedules with proper Resource Scheduling and AusStd 4817 Standard EVPM for our clients

Raf