Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

TSPI??

8 replies [Last post]
Martin Hunt
User offline. Last seen 13 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

If I was to use the same process used to calculate TCPI but changed the BAC-Actuals for BAC-BCWS then would that give an indication of the schedule performance needed to complete the Project on time??

I’m not sure

Thanks in advance

Martin

Replies

Martin Hunt
Hi Philip,

I personally am very familiar with EV but I understand what you mean about trying to push any excess and complicated metrics reporting onto the program team.

The point I was trying to get at is before attempting to start using it for the Program I work on if there were any shortfalls.

Maybe you are right and simplicity is key.

Thanks for your responses

Martin
Philip Kearney
User offline. Last seen 3 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
All,

Sorry for not posting sooner!

Darren,
Having gone through your earlier posts, a lot of the suggestions have credibility in theory but from experience, the simplest form is always the best as we are keeping the calculations to a minimum as these things tend to go off on a tangent with a lot of backtracking which can be painstaking work!

Martin,
A lot of what Darren has suggested is sufficient if you are a power user as you can get a grasp on what you are looking for...however, I find it for those who are not familiar with the earned value conundrum, sticking to the simplest version until you are confident enough to explain your analysis in layman terms to your superiors as they do not want to get bogged down in the "terminology".

Lesson learned here...keep it simple!
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Martin,

Chatting with some EV gurus today, I broached the subject of TSPI and was informed unequivocally that it can’t be calculated in the way I suggested. It would always equal 1 which kind of makes sense now I think about it.

Much better to use the method Phillip suggested in Post #2

So if you are halfway though a Project / CA / WP and the SPI is 0.90, then the SPI for the remainder of the Project / CA / WP would have to be 1.1.

Regards,

Darren
Darren Kosa
Martin,

If you think of it another way, EV is all about analysing and forecasting using trends.

All you really need to decide is do you forecast what you actually think is remaining, or what is remaining in the budget.

Regards,

Darren
Darren Kosa
Martin,

Shouldn’t be a problem. In reality the net effect is neutral, it’s just a matter of preference.

If you think about it EAC is just BAC plus or minus any variance.

BCWS establishes the baseline, but it’s also the value of all work scheduled to be carried out in a given period of time. This can be cumulative or shown month-by-month.

Regards,

Darren
Martin Hunt
Thanks for your responses

Darren I am unsure about the EAC calculation as the BCWS would only calculate as far as the baseline.

Darren Kosa
Hi Martin,

It’s been a while since I looked at any advanced formula. As I recall you can have TCPI (BAC) and TCPI (EAC).

I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t therefore use either TSPI (BAC) or TSPI (EAC).

TSPI could then be calculated by:

(BAC – BCWP) / (BAC – BCWS)

Or

(BAC – BCWP) / (EAC – BCWS)

You could probably even use IEAC in place of EAC... although you’d have to test it out just to be sure.

Regards,

Darren
Philip Kearney
User offline. Last seen 3 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Martin,

In theory, it would give that answer.
But a better option would be the remaining duration/SPI as this would give a more realistic forecast.

Regards,
Philip