Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project 2000 Finish Start Link

6 replies [Last post]
Benjamin Mora
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am using a schedule created in P3.1 and it has been converted to MS Project 2000; this is by request of the owner and is not negotiable. Tasks that have FS link with its predecessor. My data date is 3/1/08, so no incomplete tasks appear before that date. Here is my problem: Task A starts and finishes 3/2/08, but its successor is starting on 3/2/08; this is not a FS relationship. My Resource and Task calendars are identical and follow the 5 Day work week with an 8 hour shifts per day. I tried to set the constraint type to Start As soon as possible, but it makes incomplete tasks occur before the Data Date.

It is not a true resource loaded schedule. What I mean is that the Resource, a sub-contractor, may be assigned to more than one task occurring at the same time. This is fine.

What is my problem? BTW, I hate MS Project. You guys are the smart ones.

Replies

Benjamin Mora
Thanks, but all of my start and end times are identical in the project, task, and resource calendars.
Gerry Ampo
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ben,

Have you been to the calendar options in the option menu? Here you can change the default settings of your calendar such as default starting time, default finish time etc..

Just go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, CALENDAR...

Maybe this helps..

Best regards,

Gerry

Benjamin Mora
That’s what I am trying to do, but MS Project will not change the start or finish time in some instances. It’s a predessesor problem, but the predessesor finishes ends at the end of the day and shift, so there appears to be no issue.

Thank you for the help. Anyone else know what’s wrong?
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Benjamin,

Unfortumately, I did it task by task also when this happened to me. You may change the date format to hours to lessen the difficulty of doing it.

Good luck.

Se
Benjamin Mora
Yeah something is going on with the constraint date where some tasks are starting at 5:00 pm when they should start at 8:00 AM and Finish at 8:00 PM or 8:00 AM when they should Finis at 5:00 PM.

I have a lot of Tasks how do I change this without going task by task? I already tried Find and Replace.
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
I too hate what you hate. What can we do?

Try checking the timescale in hours or change the date format with hours. It’s possible that the predecessor is finishing at 4PM while the successor is starting at 4:01PM of the same day.

Funny isn’t it? What do you expect from Mickey Mouse?
Good luck
Se

P.S. If this is the case, please don’t ask me why this is so, ask mickey mouse.