Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Gantt Bars offset by a day

5 replies [Last post]
James Arundell
User offline. Last seen 17 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

This hopefully should be a very straightforward question...

Currently all my gantt bars appear to start a day later than i would like. For instance if the starting date for a task is a monday morning the bar starting point is at the line between Monday/Tuesday on the scale across the top. I would like the bar to be displayed starting at the line between Sunday/Monday so the chart clearly shows there is activity ocurring on the Monday.

Is this possible without setting the dates back a day?

Many thanks for your help.

James Arundell

Replies

Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Jmaes,

i knw you have solved this problem but as soon as wrote this:

> If I have a task that runs from 09:00 on a monday to > >09:00 on a Tuesday

I knew immediately something was wrong as 1 day activity by default would start at 8am and finish at 5pm. So assuming you were using days then this impled you had a 24 hour calendar.

To resolve this using a 24 hour calendar then the start should be 0:00 and not 9am.
James Arundell
Actually I take it all back it was down to the Options -> calendar settings. I’d set the default start & end times to 00:00 as i was using a 24 hour calendar. It would appear that for whatever reason project doesn’t like this and is much happier when the default start and end times were set to 8:00 and 17:00 respectively...

Thank you for your help!
James Arundell
Thanks for that.

It’s very strange I have looked through the hours etc and it doesn’t seem to be the cause.

If I have a task that runs from 09:00 on a monday to 09:00 on a Tuesday the block on the gantt chart is displayed just for the whole of Tuesday, even thought the majority of the work is to occur on the Monday.

I wonder whether it may just be a setting somewhere that is incorrect? Is there anyway to reset all of Microsoft Project’s settings back to default incase I’ve altered something I shouldn’t have done?

Many Thanks

James
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
I havent had this problem but I would check the hours. It may be such that you are starting the activity at 6pm and not 8am or 9am. So go to options and change date format to dd/mmm/yy:hh and confirm the times.

Even if you are planning by days underneath msp still plans by the hour but the formatting cuts the hours off. I have seen a plan where they had played around with the no. of hours per days and 4 days of work gave them 5 or something.

Another possibility may be problems with start milestones and finish milestones. Having the hours on and changing to finish milestones you may find the solution.