Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Formatting "Group By" Bars on Gantt Chart (MSP2010)

2 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Not been able to find an answer to this on the forum, so here goes.

I have a detail schedule that is using groups to set up a Level 0 schedule. There are 7 phases, with each phase containing tasks for four elements (Design, Approvals, Construction, Handover/Acceptance) of the project.

Although I have mamaged to get the content right, I need to format each of these elements so that they are shown in different colours. Each elementsis defined by a Flag field, and the usual way is to format the bars so that (for example), Flag 10 bar style is coloured blue, Flag 11 bar style is coloured green etc.

However, as the bars are of the "Grouped By" type, it is not letting me change the format so all bars are the same colour.

Could anyone offer a solution or workround to this problem?

Many thanks.

Replies

Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline

Thanks Tom - will give this a try.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 days 14 hours ago. Offline

Hi Tony,

Group by summaries (both table rows and bars) are odd birds.  You can make multiple bar styles for them, but the style filters seem to ignore rolled-up custom flag fields while correctly showing Project's built-in criteria.

The only workaround that I could suggest is to play around with roll-up bars.  For example, make a new bar style named "Rollup1" and set the show-for filter to "Rolled Up,Flag1" etc.  Their appearance is not conventional, but you may find them useful.

Good luck, tom