Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Should splitting tasks increase duration ?

4 replies [Last post]
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi ,

As per the definition given for ’Duration ’. It is active time required to accomplish the task.

But suppose i know , that active time required is 10 days , and due to some reason i am splitting the task to initially 5 days active time , 20 days idle and then again 5 days active. I find after splitting the task the duartion changes itself to 30 days , even though i am active only for 10 days on job.

i want to be enlightened on this behaviour.

Thanks,

regards,

Vinod R

Replies

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Vinod,

Glad you "fixed" the problem he he he.

The term "Fixed Duration" should be more accurately interpreted as "elapsed duration" - as it spans the entire length of the activity, from start to finish - regardless of any idle-time or task splits. In general, however, he task-types are important when you are applying resources to the activities. A so-called fixed duration task will retain its end-date, even if you work fewer or more hours than planned. It will adjust the remaining hours to spread equally across the remaining duration. In essence, you are correct in that a fixed-duration task assumes no idle time unless you specifically input a split. Once you input a split, you might as well allocate it a fixed-work or fixed- unit attribute.

The fixed-unit and fixed-work task types have different behavioural characteristics when applying resources and re-scheduling uncompleted work - and knowledge is best gained by doing a few experiments. SO I’ll let you get on with it, as it is virtually impossible to explain it in words.

Cheers.

James.
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James ,

Your presumption about task set at "fixed duration" was correct.

But what does this behaviour implies , does it mean if i have task whose duration is fixed , i cannot have idle time for that task . Since splitting will negate the definition of task " Duration " ?

Or is there some other angle to it ?

thanks,

regards,

vinod
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Vinod,

Your task-type is probably set at "Fixed Duration". Double-click on the task, click "Advanced" tab, change the task-type to either "Fixed Work" or "Fixed Units". This will then display the duration in accordance with how many "activity days". Note, however, that all summary-task durations are set at Fixed Duration, so you cannot change those.

HTH

James.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
When I try what you are doing, my original duration is preserved, regardless of how many times I split the Task, down to 5 x 1 day splits with one day spaces.

Your definition, using "active" days is pretty close.

Splits are pretty much the only exception to the definition of duration as:
the number of working days, according to the calendar for that task, from the start of the task to the finish of the task.

Check your calendar for the task.