Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project - Activity Durations

5 replies [Last post]
Mary Max
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone know if there is a way to take the decimal points off the durations of activities. I have inherited a schedule and the durations are set to 2 decimal places. Even if I change the activities to a whole number the heading duration still has 2 decimal places.

If anyone knows how to get rid of this, please let me know.

Thanks

Replies

Ker Song Sim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Decimals in MS Project only appear when the duration of the activity is not in whole units of day (assuming day is the measuring unit). This means that for some activities in your schedule, either the start and/or finish date/time do not coincide with the working hours set in your calendar.

To resolve this, go to Tools->Options->View and change the Date format from "28 Jan ’02" (or whatever it is set at) to any that as time format included, e.g. "28 January 2002 12:33". Then you will be able to see those activities with start/finish times not coinciding with your working hours in calendar and change them accordingly.

Rgds,
Sim K.S.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mary,

2000 Activities in MS Project is a piece of cake. Wanna Bet.

You send to me the file and I will redo it for you. We have a holiday here so Thursday and Friday I can do it for you. After that I have no more time, ill be very busy.

What you will get is a duration without decimal. However, the integrity of such duration shall be checked by you.

Cheers,

Charlie
Mary Max
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the reply Charlie, unfortunately it has over 2000 activities, so I don’t really fancy starting again!! I can’t see any options in Working time or calenders, but I will keep searching. Thanks
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Mary,

It has something to do with calendars and work time.

If the file got very few activities, why dont you just start all over again.

Cheers

Charlie