Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration activity

1 reply [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I create an activity and set duration to 1 day. I then create a resource and assign it to the activity. When I look at the "Resource usage"-view the work has spread out over two days, with 7 hours on one day and 1 hour the next. If I try to adjust the hours so that all 8 hours are in the same day, that day is marked as overtime and the resource percentage has been adjusted to 114% in the Gant-view. I use a resources pool and the time is set from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 13.30 to 17.30, 8 hours a day. I notice activity starts at 9 and not at 8.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I understand what causes your problems are but unfortunately MSP has so many options that without knowing what your project and task calendar, calendar, calculation and scheduling options are it is difficult to advise you.

I would initially suggest that you check your Tools, Options, Calendar, and confirm that your Default Start Time is the same start time as the calendar the task is woking with. This option will give each new taks a different start time. While you are there make sure the Hours per day week and month are compatible with your project calendar.

On the other hand I feel the best approach is to learn how MSP calculates either by working through the help files or investing in a good text book.

Paul E Harris
Director
Eastwood Harris
www.eh.co.au