Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Suppressing Task IDs on Printouts

17 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline
Groups: None
Having been forced down the route of using MSP2000, I am suffering with the problem of the task IDs constantly changing due to tasks being added and/or deleted.

As a result, I have had problems with people referring to task IDs in previous issues of the programme that do not reflect the current issue IDs.

I am proposing to use one of the text fields to give each task a "permanent" ID number (MSP Unique task IDs no good as they tend to be "out of sequence" when new tasks added and/or tasks deleted).

However, to avoid confusion, I want to remove the automatic Task ID field from the printouts, but cannot find a way to do this.

Any suggestions from other MSP2000 users will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Replies

Andre Laurensis
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Tony, I fully understand your problem.
My way of solving it : I use one text field to number as I want ( even including kinds of "codes" the same way of Promavera), than a second text for the "descrition" and the third column to "concatenate" columns 1 and 2.
Last step being to copy that last result in the column "name" (coz you can not customize that field.
So, you have YOUR numbering AND it appears in all the normal "forms".
You just have not to forget to refresh the "name" if you modify or add some activities. (to be sure, a very simple macro can do it, or you just copy/paste the whole columns.
As with Primavera, have your own codification in the numbering can easily allow you to filter or sort on it !
Larry Blankenship
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 days ago. Offline
Methinks you which to have your cake and eat it too. The Unique ID is just that, a primary key for the Task entity. Forcing it to be in sequence would defeat the purpose, as it is strictly a sequence number to identify the row the task is stored in, not the task itself. It is a handy way to identify that row (task) in the database and no other, but if you want tasks to be in order, you pretty much have to accept the fact that the task numbers are going to get out of synch periodically.

Last time I used Primavera, you had to do all the numbering yourself, and renumber everything if you ran out of room, which to me isn’t that much better.

Perhaps if you train people to refer to the deliverable in the WBS and then the actual task under that deliverable, you might have better luck. Or write your own custom WBS structure and use that. (I’ve never used the WBS feature in Project, as it’s fairly new, to my knowledge, but it might be worth a try.)

Larry
Tony McClennon
Sigfredo,

The problem I would have with using the unique ID numbers is that they will still be out of sequence. I would want to see tasks being numbered essentially in the order they appear on the schedule e.g. ADD0010, ADD0020, ADD0030 etc. New tasks could then be inserted between to give ADD0010, ADD0015, ADD0020, ADD0022, ADD0024, ADD0030 etc.

However, I have extracted from my MSP schedule the Unique IDs for tasks for which I would want to have some form of logical sequence to the numbering:

Those tasks numbered between 50 and 60 date from the inception of the schedule when all we had was a fairly "high-level" content. Since then, the schedule has expanded, hence the numbers above appearing between 1629 and 1707.

Hope that this explains the situation a little more clearly.

I think that I will probably customise a text field and manually input the task IDs based on the top levels of the WBS.

Tony
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Andre,
It’s possible to make custom form acting as standard form.
you need a good programmer. I’ve tried using custom events (checking the current selected task every 0.3 second, if it changes, then raise a event, the custom form catches the event and update the form accordingly. I hope there’s other way to do it, as i know this is not a effecitve way),anyway it work. I made a custom form to show preds of a selected task with a * in front of the pred ID to show it’s a driving pred. as in P3. and no need to call task by task.

BTW the custom form i mentioned is not the custom form in the menu "tools->Customize->forms" but the form build in VBA
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi andre, tony,

Maybe I have not explained myself clearly. I was proposing to use the Unique ID with conjunction with the addition of text using the customize field formula. In other words, it’s the same as using a custom text field but using the Unique ID for easy referencing.

Ex. Unique ID - 34
Added text using formula lets say ADD
/: Activity ID(Text1) = ADD34

Just a matter of curiosity guys.

I’m not sure about what Tony said if you add/delete activity it becomes out of sequence. Is there a use for this? Tony, could you explain further.

For andre, could you explain what’s the use of putting the Unique ID in the standard forms. I’m completely lost on this.

Cheers,

Se
Tony McClennon
Alexandre/Larry,

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I will probably resort to using a Text field with the numbering based on the project WBS to enable a cross-reference to be made to the relevant Work Packages.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue I had initially regarding the problems caused by the task IDs changing from issue to issue of the schedule.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and suggestions.

Tony
Larry Blankenship
Andre,
At that point, you pretty much have to hide the column and live with it, I’m afraid, unless someone else has another idea.

Larry
Andre Laurensis
1. Remember, we (Tony and myself) don’t like to use this "unique ID"
2. The "custom forms" are also a pain in the neck, as you have to "call" them task by task
Se de Leon
[All posting must be in English - the Moderator.]

Pardon my french and some of my spelling alexandre. I’m trying to learn it but I find it quite difficult specially the pronounciation part and listening to it.

Au revoir,

Se
Se de Leon
Hi Andre,

Just a matter of curiosity, why do you need to put it standard forms? BTW, you can insert the Unique ID field to a customize form using the customize form feature.

Cheers,

Se
Andre Laurensis
The problem is that this "unique ID" is a complete mess, and do not appear in the standard "forms" (predecessors, successors, ....
Se de Leon
I also use the unique ID then use the customize field formula option to add text to the unique ID.

Cheers,

Se
Andre Laurensis
As a result, I have had problems with people referring to task IDs
YES, THAT’S A [Deleted by Moderator] SYSTEM IN MSP;

I am proposing to use one of the text fields to give each task a "permanent" ID number
SHOULD BE EVEN BETTER IF YOU INCLUDE IT IN "NAME" OF TASK.

to remove the automatic Task ID field from the printouts, but cannot find a way to do this.
JUST REDUCE THE COLUMN WIDTH TO "0", NO ?

Any suggestions from other MSP2000 users will be appreciated
USE 2003 !
Tony McClennon
Andre,

Why didn’t I think of reducing the column width - simple!!

Many thanks - I will now try and re-engage my brain!!

Regards,

Tony

Larry Blankenship
There is also a Unique Task ID field that never changes. I ran into this also during planning sessions.

Larry