Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Moving tasks

5 replies [Last post]
Andy Rowe
User offline. Last seen 20 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, bit of a novice I am afraid. I want to able to move a number of tasks forward / or back by say two weeks. I can only seem to do this one at a time. How can I move them all together? Thanks for reading this and I look forward to a response Andy

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you both...Brilliant....now sorted

Cheers
Andy
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Agree with Paul. Make sure "small group are connected with logic and do not have constraints" This is the key.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
If all the tasks in the small group are connected with logic and do not have constraints (and depending on your constraints option in the options form) changing the early start constraint date on the first task should move all the tasks.

There are too many options in Microsoft Project and it is difficult to predict what will happen in other people’s projects.

I suggest you display the indicators column and this will show you which activities have constraints.

Other wise you may have manual recalculation switched on and have to hit the F9 key.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Paul, many thanks for your response.

The tasks I want to move are a small group within a larger project. I have created links between them and constrained the first of them to start on a specific date. I still cant get them all to move as one....I need to mve them all by two weeks.

Hope that is clearer

Andy
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Andy

People usually have tasks in Microsoft Project linked with relationships whereby moving the first task will move all the successor tasks. I am unsure from the info you have provided how you have scheduled your tasks. There are several ways of delaying tasks by two weeks:

1. You may change the project start date and this will move any unstarted tasks that are scheduled on the start date to the new start date.

2. Typing a date in the Task Start column will assign an early start constraint to the task. If you have a number of tasks that you wish to start on the same day you may use the Fill Down or Copy and Paste function to assign a constraint to a number of activities.

3. If you do not have relationships between tasks, put some in and assign a constraint to the fist task.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au