Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Grouping and Sorting in MS Project

5 replies [Last post]
Daryl Walcroft
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone know how to sort a list of grouped headings by date rather than the group heading itself (which is generally a description)

Also, is it possible to neck grouped activity bars in Project? I will probably have to return to P3 if I cant find answers to these questions.

Thanks.

Replies

Daryl Walcroft
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 hours ago. Offline
By necking I mean show periods of inactivity after a series of activities are grouped - similar to P3.

Thanks
Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe I dont understand what you mean by "neck", but I use grouping extensively on a large plan to view cost information in MSProject.
If Daryl wants to view by date he could just group by date, if he wants to group by a date interval...thats a bit more tricky, Ive not been able to do that to any level of satisfaction.
If as you suggest, Se, he should use a customised field then using the "Save Interim Plan" to save all the dates to a customised start/finish field would be the answer, and then using either the filter or the grouping option should give him what he wants.
It would be interesting to know how he gets on?

Will
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Russel,

Yes I have tried it. The output is like organizing your activities in bands just like in P3. You can use the custom fields or the outline codes when organizing.

Try it.

Se
Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Have you tried using the grouping facility?
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Daryl,

For your first question, you can copy start or finish date to a custom date field i.e. Date1 then prepare a group filter using Date1 as specification. All activities with the same date will be grouped then you can sort by either earliest or latest date.

On the second question, I cant find any feature wherein you can neck summary activities in MSP unlike in P3.

Se de Leon