Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Sorting by Subtasks.

1 reply [Last post]
L U
User offline. Last seen 14 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hey everyone - question.

I’ve got a large set of projects that follow a defined schedule.

With every client I move through the same schedule. Phase A, B, C, D, and so on. For every client, I’ve created a .mpp file, and have all of these different phases listed as a subtask (indented task) of the summary task.

To get an overview of where all the projects stand at once, I’ve created a "master" file that pulls the summary task out of the individual client files. The subtasks are brought along inside the summary task, so if I need more detail when looking at the master file, I can expand the task.

This is working well, but I would like the ability to list all "Phase C" or "Phase D" subtasks to see which client will finish a given stage next and help me prioritize. Is there a way to search for all the subtasks of a given name ("Phase C" for example) and have them listed together?

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

Bryan Eaton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There are a number of ways to achieve this. This simplest assumes each of the task descriptions is the same for each “Phase C”. Go to Project, Filtered For, AutoFilter. You will now have an arrow in each of your column titles. Click on the Task Name arrow and select “Phase C”, you will have only phase C subtasks.

If the descriptions are different, but include the phrase “Phase C” then click the arrow, Custom, select “contains” on the left, and enter Phase C on the right – this assumes you are absolutely consistent in your data entry.

I prefer to use one of the Text Fields to achieve this kind of summary. Insert a text column – right click the title area, insert column, field name, choose text1 and enter. Now right click on the text1 column and choose customize fields, choose “text” in the top right and rename – “Phase” would be appropriate, (or “Lifecycle Phase” if others have different definitions of what a phase is). Fill in an “A” for each phase A, “B” for each Phase B etc. It is time consuming but worth it.
Go to Project Group by, More Groups, New, name it “*1 Phase” set the first level to “Phase” or whatever you named the text field to, set the back color, font style etc, and apply. It is now grouped by Phase with a title of A, B, C etc. You could enter “Phase A”, “Phase B” etc instead of just A, B, C. You could further explore the Value list option of the Custom Text field…

To select just one phase create a filter:
Go to Project, Filtered For, More Filters, New, name it “*1 Phase A” set the condition to Phase = A and save it, apply.