Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Unanswered thread

17 replies [Last post]
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Colleagues,

In order to improve our Planning Planet, it is advisable to give a reply on each thread and not leave any unanswered subject specially if it is a query. Also, the originator of the subject needs to answer back if the replies, suggestions, proposals, etc. satisfied him in order to close out the subject. If the subject is not clear or is not detailed enough, we can just send a request for clarification to the originator.

Regards,
J. Daniel

Replies

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Philip,

In response to your last post:

Chris is spelled with a capital ’C’, like Philip is spelled with a capital ’P’.

para 1:
This thread is not about laziness no matter how you try to justify it.

para 2:
The database solution is not the only one, the solution I suggested, where the thread is flagged automatically when it reaches a certain age is also viable. The subject thread could even be moved to a new location and an e-mail sent to a member with the appropriate expertise, again automatically. Strange that most people seemed to grasp that concept, but not you.

para 3:
I really do not understand your attitude to stealing. In you post of 15 June @ 18.07 you say you follow a code of ethics and do not try to steal anyone’s ideas, yet in your last post you use the phrase ’mugg somebody’ to advocate stealing someone’s ideas, make your mind up, which is it?

para 4:
I have asked you before not to try and patronise me, don’t insult me either by trying to twist what I have written.

para 5:
With your own words you have confirmed what I wrote previously, you say that you can quickly grasp concepts, whereas I pointed out that by quickly scanning it is possible to miss the detail.

para 6:
Of course you need to think for yourself, if an original solution is needed. But is is neither sensible or cost effective to do this if a tried and tested solution is available simply by asking someone.

para 7:
You really are something! First you insult me, then you want me to give up my time and use my expertise to implement your database solution. I’ll give you three guesses as to what you can do.

Chris Oggham

PS
You’re trying to be patronising again, don’t do it, it really doesn’t suit you. I, too, enjoy a lively conversation, but I don’t see it as an end in itself. The purpose of this forum is to provide solutions to members’ problems and queries, so please stop wasting my time and theirs.
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
PP Admin,

Once the thread is answered and satisfy the originator and all the participants, can PP Admin assign an icon showing the thread has been closed. Although most of the threads have been answered they are still left open for new posting.

If the PPers (newcomer) have more queries on the particular thread he/she can start a new thread for discussion as a continuation to the old topic.

Regards.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi chris,

Laziness is a fact, and any planner who does not suffer the problem is conning himself, achieving the ultimate goal of doing nothing but delegation, is most peoples dream, it is just the route that you need to take to get there that differs. This is what I was trying to explain, and if you have ever been involved in debates, which is the same as forums, you would understand, that the subject is not always the objective, the true objective might have to be reached via different paths, or thought processes, ie lateral thinking, another thread on this subject was raised recently, and nobody gave a consequential answer, ie lateral is sideways, not only forward.

As for the database solution it was the only suggestion in the thread that did not pass the problem straight into PPAdmin’s lap, and expect them to solve every unanswered thread. Try coming up with a solution, and I will retract everything I have said.

The point of stealing, is if you cannot find any other way of working things out for yourself, then mugg somebody. The point is have you tried to do it by the normal route ie using your brain, or by forgetting you have one and and hi-jacking somebody’s. I have stated before I have no problem helping anybody, but surely they must try for themselves.

The problem is that you seem to be constantly at a loss, or without time to work out things.

You make statements that I cannot understand what I read and then deny the fact. The point that I can grasp things in a short while (Half an hour) is due to the fact that I still have a few brain cells that can work together and grasp concepts, in a short while.

As for your Re-Inventing the wheel story is there no reason to think for yourself, as an engineer I was taught the basics, and sometimes you do not always know the wheel, and you might have to use the basics. Not all of us can be Edison or Einstein or be geniuses, but thinking is not the prerogative of a chosen few.

I do not have problems with differing opinions, but what I am trying to say is let’s be constructive, not pain in the ass. So How about you using your database skills to set up the filters?

Regards

Philip

PS I enjoy a lively converstation, do not take it all to heart.
Secondly as a matter of interest English is my second language, disregarding the others

Chris Oggham
Philip,

While it might be fun to discuss laziness on this forum, this thread is not really the place for it. If you want to discuss this further I suggest that you open an appropriate new thread.

As for the rest of your communication, no-one has suggested in any way that you can’t read. However, you stated yourself that you took only about half an hour to glance through the posts. Scanning quickly in this way can lead to missing points or wrongly interpreting what was in fact written.

I am rather at a loss to see how you equate asking someone for information or help to stealing. In most organisations people share information and give help freely when asked. It is in the organisation’s interest for employees to ask for help if a solution is already available than to "re-invent the wheel".

No-one has said that your suggestion for a database is no good, in all probability it could be turned into a workable solution. As far as understanding the concept is concerned, I’ve built databases for a living, sequential, hierarchical and relational, so please don’t try to patronise me.

If you have a problem with other people having different opinions to you, then that is unfortunate. But I would suggest to you that this forum is not the place for you to attempt to bully those who do not agree with you.

Chris Oggham

Chris Oggham
Philip,

No-one is asking PP Admin to sort out unanswered threads. If you had, perhaps, taken the time to read the discussion a little more carefully, you would see that that is not the point at all. What was suggested was, that as part of the ongoing development of this site, unanswered threads be flagged after a certain time, for referral to someone able to answer them or deletion as appropriate.

PP Admin has taken this on board and the idea has been incorporated into the development log. Now if you don’t think this is a good idea, that’s fine, you are fully entitled to your point of view and no-one would wish to change that.

However, I would point out to you that it is not lazy to ask someone for information that you don’t have. Far from it, it is an efficient and speedy way of increasing your knowledge base. I was under the impression that exchanging ideas and information, and asking questions was why this forum was set up.

I’m sorry you don’t see it that way.

Chris Oggham

Philip Jonker
Hi Chris,
How do you know that PPAdmin has the time to sort out the unanswerd posts. I find it takes about a half an hour a day to glance through the postings, and normally do this at home. I have seen it on quite a few occasions where a thread has just finished or was still in progress, where the same question was asked in a new thread. Maybe there is a case for a database, where some keywords from threads can be kept, for people who need to look up whether the subject they are trying to find an answer for can find previous simular threads. The contributors can add the keywords as they go along. This could obviate the problem of time. When I said lazy, it is a fact if somebody else can give you the answer, why try and figure out yourself, this is human nature.
Philip Jonker
Actually Chris I take offence to you intimating I cannot read, go back to the beginning and study the thread. Also check my postings, I ask no questions, and give some valid answers. In fact I still follow a code of ethics that I learnt 35 years ago, and do not cheat or try and steal from anybody, ideas etc. however all that I learnt was from people who was willing to share and took the time to do it, therefore the onus on me is to do the same, and make the time for it. By the way I think my idea of a database is constructive, and if you do not understand the concept, I suggest you try and learn it, make some time.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Unanswered threads are usually unanswered due to their repetition or have no authencity, baseless and irrelevancy so PP admin should delete these threads after a definite period.

This definite period should be defined by PP admin
Chris Oggham
Philip,

I think you’ve missed the point here. No-one is blaming PP Admin or anyone else for unanswered threads, but the fact is they do occur. All that has been suggested is a means of dealing with unanswered threads once they reach a certain age.

Yes, some of the threads are irrelevant or pointless.
Yes, some of the queries in unanswered threads need to be clarified so that they can be answered. As for the assertion you made that we are "too lazy to look around", that is really silly. We do have jobs to do and that limits the amount of time available to look through the site.

The admin team does do a good job maintaining and administering the site, but they are not clairvoyant or telepathic. The only way that they will know about something members are having difficulty with is if they are told, and a potential solution suggested.

It’s unfortunate that you seem to have missed this, but I hope that I have clarified it for you.

Chris Oggham
Philip Jonker
Hi Chris,

I do not have a problem to admit I am lazy, But let’s categorise laziness:

Pro-active Lazy - Working out good solutions to problems, to minimise your work, the planners way. And as a result dying of boredom, and looking out for other problems you can solve, and minimise other peoples work. They never stress or look busy, but seems to get jobs done with minimum effort.

Sedatory lazy, not really interested, but always looking busy and doing nothing constructive. A real loafer. Normally sits with their feet on the desk. Had a couple of those in my life.

The genuine mind dead lazy. Always complaining they do not have the time, will work double shifts just to prove they are actually doing something, ie the political types who call themselves planners. Does not really understand what they are doing, but can talk a lot about it, Actually trying an easy route to try and become project directors. This is the bunch I am talking about, and the second lot is included as well, to a limited degree, as they are normally harmless.

Take your pick where you fit in............

Don’t be part of the problem, work out the solution and become part of it.
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

I do not thinks PPadmin is to blame for unanswered threads, the problem is probably that the question has been asked before and you are too lazy too look around, or alternatively the question is meaningless, ie nobody understands it, therefore the pointis the reply would be meaningless.
I think the admin team is doing a great job in administrating the site, and it is not their problem whether you get a reply to your question.

If you do not get a reply, the problem is obviously on your side, then try and clarify.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
These are some very interesting ideas here. Thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions. We have cut and paste(d?) your ideas into our development log.

We are 70% done on a re-vamp of this forum, and we think it will be 300% more usefull to us all (bold statememt!!?). We hope to have taken everyones ideas and requirements on board and we are planning to get the new version out (in test form) within a few weeks.

Amongst other things, we will be able to sort categories, and within categories by age, views and replies in the new version. Perhaps we do need to flag a topic (with an icon or colour?) to indicate to everyone that it is still awaiting an answer.

We also have some good ideas in regard to improving the notification-by-email-of-a-new-post which we currently have.

I cant see why your ideas will be a problem.

Regards
The Admin Team
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Chris, your idea is seem to be really a nice one, May be the admin could create a separate forum heading like unanswered folder and all the unanswered threads will be parked under the unanswered forum heading(based on certain time limit as you said) and it may be the responsibility of experts to answer the thread if it is an answerable one as you have suggested. Once the thread is answered, it has to goback to its previous position in the forum heading(relevant category) where it came from.

I hope PP’Admin will take action.............

Cheers!!!

Daya
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Very good idea Chris. Also, to find an easy way to track/search for sorted subjects in order to avoid duplicated threads.

Hope that PP Admin. will take these notes into consideration for the future development and progress of this interesting and prosperous website.

Regards,
J. Daniel
Chris Oggham
Hi Guys,

This is potentially quite a tricky one. Where a thread is unanswered, it may be because the person who can answer it hasn’t seen it. After all it’s a big forum with a lot going on so it is easy to miss things. The other possibility is that the thread is starting to age and members may think that because of its age it’s no longer a problem.

Would it be possible, when a thread reaches a certain age without being answered, for PP Admin to flag it for referral to members with the expertise to answer it?

Just a thought.

Chris Oggham
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
If you post the location/link it would be easy to identify the thread for further action.
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Guys, one my messages is still hanging and no resposes yet Its located inProject services and Career Issues...