Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

UNCENSORED OR MODERATED THREAD

12 replies [Last post]
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HELLO TO ALL,

This is a suggestion (imho) to PP Admin thread no 68 of the thread: DEMOCRACY VS TOTALITARIAN.

The perpetuate the freedom of expression, speech, brick chat, flamming, etc, hallmark of demacratic PP, is it possible to have a main thread of uncensored or full context of the thread without edit from moderators.

The idea is to have the reply moderated or censored in the relevant thread but with comments that for the full text of the uncensored reply, the other PP members who wish to view the uncesored reply will be routed to UNCENSORED OR MODERATED THREAD by just clicking the mouse. Maye some notes for the UNCENSORED OR MODERATED THREAD that they are viewing offensive, rude, flamming words that may cause incerease blood pressure, not good for immature mind, to be view with parental guidance, for adults only or anything to that effects.

Or how about a new thread for flamming words, brick bats, hostile reponse, etc.

Only an idea, IMHO.

Cheers,
Charlie

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Charlie,

Quite correct. The definition of maturity, is as a result of experience, you know a hundred ways to solve a problem, and have a hundred ideas how to solve one problem. It is very simple, the older people hand their experience to younger generations, through mentorship, but do not make it prohibitive rules, encouraging free thinking. This results in more rapid progress, as a result of the fact that you already know a solution, and do not have to start from scratch, it is called basic princi;les. All you have to do is find one good idea out of the normal way, and not a hundred new ideas.

Regards

Philip
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Philip,

I like to hear that Philosophy comes from you "living in harmony".

I agree that this is what PP needs, to learn to accept each other uniqueness and learn to live in harmony.

Criticism per se is not really bad. Most of the time it is good and it developed maturity in how to deal with others including "living in harmony".

IMHO,

Cheers,

Charlie
Philip Jonker
Hi Larry,

Critisism, or judgement is not one of my great strengths, I think understanding is what people need, and with understanding comes acceptance of the differences that exists between cultures, and all things. The point is not changing who or what they are, but accepting it without prejudice, and living in harmony.

Regards

Philip
Larry Blankenship
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 day ago. Offline
Phillip, having always lived in a country where censorship is not a government function but an individual function, I can’t pretend to know how you feel.

I think the main thing is to separate your opinions from the facts of the issue and stick to the facts and logical conclusions that can be drawn from them.

If someone uses language that is flowery or hard to read, you can say that without questioning their sexual orientation. That is a comment on their use of language rather than them. I try to remember what someone once told me: "Never criticize people for who they are. If you must criticize, criticize for what they do. They can always change the latter."

Larry
Philip Jonker
Hi guys,

For some or other reason, I have not been accused of arrogance. Maybe, the reason is that I am always prepared to help and assist where I can. However, I call a spade a spade, and did not spend my life in a finishing school for girls. However, I have good experience of having lived in a country, where censorship, was practiced to the extreme, and when you have the experience of this, and subsequent freedom of expression and all the other good things, you realise the greatness of democracy, however, the fact is even if you do not agree with certain people, respect them, but this does not extend to placating them with nice words, and other things they want to hear. The essence of respect, is self respect, and this will help you to respect others, however, when your self respect is attacked, you have the right to retaliate in kind.

Regards

Philip
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Stacy,

You’re quite right, and that in itself is enough to make a thread which is uncensored and unmoderated unnecessary. If someone feels that they have to make their point to someone else within PP, bluntly and explicitly, the Private Message facility is available.

You should not be surprised, however, if you get a message just as blunt and explicit in return, or your private message is referred to the moderators. People who are just trying to help others do not have to put up with abuse or intimidation.

Chris Oggham
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Philip, I don’t believe it is necessary to insult or intimidate people in order to discuss planning and scheduling issues or assist people with their questions.

Stacy
Participate in the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Larry Blankenship
Philip,
Truth is relative. The only people who believe it’s absolute are madmen and simpletons. Frankly, one man’s truth is another’s insult. Tact is telling someone they’re a [insert epithet here] and having them thank you for bringing to their attention. Tactlessness is being more concerned about your own opinion than other people’s feelings, which in another word is arrogance.

Having been accused of being arrogant more than once in my life, I’ve learned to be more considerate, and have discovered it gets me better results. Logic and an open mind will always overcome name calling and criticism.

Larry
Philip Jonker
pmkb.

The point is not about one upmanship, but about the truth, and that is where the question lies, if you cannot accept the truth, the fact is that you have been through stages of indoctrination (normally referred to as brain-washing) and maybe what you need is a tumble dry, ie a shake-up
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Well said Larry. It would be nice if issues were more important than personalities and one-upmanship.

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Larry Blankenship
My question is why it’s needed. Is the urge or need to be obnoxious that strong that some must be excused for it or be given a special place to do it? That’s what UseNet is for. Part of the reason I’m enjoying Planning Planet is because I don’t have to wade through as much effluvia to get to the meaty stuff that will actually help me in my career or that will cause me to think more about planning issues, etc.

I’m inclined to believe that it wouldn’t be a bad thing for those who feel the need to use rude language, flames, insults, etc. to learn some manners in the first place.

Larry
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie good to see you where have u been
Nice to see your new thread why not reply to 68???