Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Forum Guest Restrictions

8 replies [Last post]
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Done very well by Planning Planet not to allow Forum Guest entry without having any PPID.

Its really a good decision.

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
Chris...

I am sorry if my message offended you, I was just trying to be light-hearted on a Friday afternoon.

But you are also right, it was based on a one and only experience as I try so hard to be inoffensive (well, maybe that’s not true… perhaps I just try to use inoffensive words). It was on about the second day with my new company and I was concerned that they would think they had employed a pervert!

Regards

David
david.bordoli@gvagrimley.co.uk
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
David,

I smile too. Especially when people raise objections to valid suggestions based on one experience of their own which can be directly attributed to an unrealistic configuration of their company’s surf control.

It’s even more amusing to note that it’s relatively simple to avoid problems such as the one you encountered. Since, no doubt, you raised it with the people responsible for the configuration at the time this happened, I’m sure they would have corrected this and told you how it was done.

Chris Oggham
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
I smile when I see suggestions such as Chris’s.

I recently wrote a long email to a couple of colleagues, referring to both by name a few times. My email was rejected by my company’s SurfControl system for "eight instances of the word ‘dick’". One of the addresses was Richard, known as Dick!

Regards

David
david.bordoli@gvagrimley.co.uk
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Bernard,

One possible solution is to customise the forum so that it won’t accept words which are offensive. There should be a means of doing this through the forum’s administration routines. Usually a table within the database, which holds the offensive words or terms together with a word or phrase which is used as a replacement.

While you won’t hit every bad word/phrase on your first pass, the moderators are usually fairly quick to spot any new ones as posts occur, which can then be added to the database.

Having installed and customised forums in the past, I know that this approach does work, although it can take some time to intercept the majority of all possible offensive expressions. With that said, it has been pointed our that members of this forum are mature professionals, and such language is very much the exception, it’s just something that might be considered as an additional safety net.

Chris Oggham
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
If you use capital letters, is it considered screaming?
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew, if you notice a post that you feel violates the posted forum guidelines, please PM me or the PP team to alert us.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Andrew Ng
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
PP Admin,

Those found to have used unnecessary slurs and profanity on more than three ocassions should be barred from the forum, first time 3 months, then 1 year then permanently..

This is not to be an X-rated forum..... even amongst the openminded mature professionals here. There is no reason to resort to abuse if you can win through persuasian and reasoning.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Its really a good move at this juncture to restrict forum guest postings.

good work by PPdevelopment team.