Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

In Search of Forum Guest

6 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

Do you have an opinion on whether we should continue to allow users to post messages under the anonymouse (i.e. non-logged-in visitors) guise of Forum Guest?

If you have feelings on this, please leave a few words as a reply.

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Peter Ayre!!!

I remember selling P3 to you 6 years age when you were here in the Philippines doing the ABS CBN project.

Its nice to see your name here. Any plans of coming over again? Maybe we can go out and have coffee or something, bro.

Best regards,

Jorge Taguinod
Peter Ayre
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi I’m new to PP and haven’t caught up on all the issues around this, but here is my 2 bobs worth,

1.     If you remove the Guest Posting function, will this cause a problem for the members who have complained about showing up as a guest when they reply?? Or does this mean they’ve just timed out, which happens to me, and just need to log back in?
2.     I can imagine a guest who comes across a forum issue, wants to offer something of significance, but baulks at joining and moves on. Perhaps a “non-planner” guest would do this, and we miss out on some potentially good feed-back.
3.     I wouldn’t have posted a reply to this question on the forum just yet, because I feel I am new to the site and need get a better feel for things first. This will change, trust me, but I feel genuine visitors would prefer replying as a guest.
4.     A compromise might be to ask the guest for name to go with the posting, maybe a chicken icon? The guest post window could also offer the option to provide an email contact to notify the guest of follow-up posts to the thread, with all the usual non-disclosure and privacy words (I would never have joined if not for these).

If this is too hard I vote to leave the function in, with the proviso that it be reviewed if it starts to be abused. Or is this happening now?

Another thought, sometimes you need to tell a restaurant when their food tastes bad because it’s for their own good, so you still need an avenue for this. I came across a posting recently that kind of made the author look a bit stupid, he had no replies, probably for the same reason I didn’t reply… I mean how many times have you ever told someone their breath stinks. I just realised it would be much easier to do this anonymously.

Lets see if I get any anonymous advise!

Cheers

Peter
Peter Ayre
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Jorge,

Just to keep in line with the topic, whats your thoughts on guest postings? Did you just join to reply, or is this your first visit?

Please email me at peterayre@hotmail.com
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
It appears that the PP system has bugs in (note from Development Team, yes Ronald, your quite correct. This bug is proving to be somewhat elusive. Appologies) it as far as posting goes anyway. Either you need to spend the time fixing the problem of why logged-in people keep sending anonymous messages or prevent anonymous messages all together.

I vote to get rid of the anonymous messaging.
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 17 years 6 days ago. Offline
Hi,

Why not have a provision for a forum guest to only VIEW.
For a guest to post, he or she shall sign in as a member.

Regards
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline