Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Require registration for Forum participation

4 replies [Last post]
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
It would be nice if people had to register in order to post messages in this forum (ie. no more posts from "Guest").

Replies

Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Gents,

I fully agree with you both. When somebody is new he joins as a Forum Guest. Hopefully (and based on the growing number of PPers) they turn into members. So first of all I dont see any problems. Nevertheless it could encourage new visitors to sign up when a forum guest has limited access (f.i. only replies and no new posts) maybe even limited view of info on/of other members.

New (valuable) members should be encouraged not demotivated to join PP. Which already works great!

Bye,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ronald,

I dont agree with your implication that requiring a user to register (for free) is in any way unfriendly. It would be a service to all participants to be able to evaluate a posters frame of reference when reading a post.

The Planning Planet is a wonderful resource and I hope to see it grow and succeed. When the number of visitors to this site increases by orders of magnitude, there will be a strong possibility for the forums to be abused or devalued when the majority of posts are from Forum Guest.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I disagree with the idea of restricting postings to logged-on people only. Although I do dislike the self-serving postings by ad-men pushing their products, the anonymous postings still serve a good purpose. I expect the moderators can clean off the graffiti in a timely manner.

When I first found PP, I didn’t sign-up immediately. First I ‘lurked’ and later even responded to postings as a Guest. I appreciated the friendly, non-judgmental attitude PP has toward contributors. I am now signed-up and a regular participant. Let’s keep PP friendly.

I have visited other sites (including the Yahoo Scheduler’s Site.) They don’t allow unrestricted access and prevent responding while a Guest. I have tried to sign-up only to have the server say that it’s sick for over two weeks now. I don’t need nor appreciate that kind of treatment. I’m a Planning Planeteer.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your comment. We have 10 or so other emails on this subject - people receiving good answers, but stating that they feel that it would have added value to have seen who had made the statements.

Does enyone else feel that it would be better to ask everyone to login prior to making a post ?

Development Team