Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Wet weather contingency

11 replies [Last post]
Rob Kane
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there, This post could go under a few of sections on here. The question I have is in the handling of wet weather contingency in a schedule. What are the different methods available and which is best for managing it and why? I am throwing out a few suggestions. ( I know there could be entitlement even if there is not an impact to schedule but am trying to establish the best way to protect key delivery dates) Using a project calendar and allow for wet days? Or Add a declared time risk allowance to each of the tasks that may get affected by rain? Or Add a buffer or feeder buffer at the end of a chain or the critical path and use when required or Use nothing and make a $ allowance and deal with the claim if the rainfall is higher than the norm? Or Any other method. Thanks in advance Rob

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 23 min ago. Offline

You can use seasonal shifts to model true productivity and true work hours + adjusted activity duration using Productivity DPH type.

photo 1-17-20144-15-00PM_zpsf9c25d35.jpg

You can then use other cost functions to estimate rate increase and also to consider overtime, nothing is lost, everything represents reality, no need to use workarounds. Use cost periods for its original intended use.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1lrowvroc3ns5c7/RD108.001.sprj

Costs are easy, the challenge is on modeling complex resource allocation that are real. 

The same volume of work increased from 3000 to 8000 in the sample provided, the details can be seen by looking at the file, you can play with all variable such as different rates for the two excavators etc. You can add idle cost of equipment etc. You can increase labor rates as to make 6 hours in winter equal 10 regular hours, it all depends on the rules of what is to be modeled.  

I am hooked on resource modeling because during my PM days on the field we always had issues with resources, every single day we would be relocating some resources as to put into work idle resources left unassigned by the poor software that was available on these years. In reality even worst, to start activities with idle resources that were on hold/delayed by the software because a small percentage of the resource was unavailable, insane software of the 70's. 

Bogdan Leonte
User offline. Last seen 1 day 5 hours ago. Offline

In Spider I belive you could model costs for less productive time frames using cost periods, Rafael, what do you think?

Considering Mike's example for a period with a lower productive time, the workers still get paid for the whole day, you could set up cost components cost periods for wages and overhead to simmulate project costs under lower productive time.

Say your productivity reduces by 30% and you model that using a calendar for which you consider only 0.7 * 60 minutes  = 42 minutes (per hour), you could set up a cost period for which costs are 1.30 more than normal. Of course you would have to take into consideration if all work is slowed down by 30% or just some.

Regards,

Bogdan

Rafael Davila

You can use Monte Carlo to simulate weather events and the impact of the events on schedule probabilities.

Just remember to apply Monte Carlo to the same model and same engine you are using to manage the job for it to be valid. Some functionalities are not equal such as how different engines deals with some constraints but the most difference can be seen when resource leveling engines differ.  If you have to export your schedule to other software then most probably your model if using resource leveling will run hundreds or thousands of simulations with very different results.

Also remember the statistical methods are limited because are based on many assumptions, use them as a guide in particular to watch for relative changes/trends in probabilities of success. Another added value might be that they disclose which of the near critical activities have high probability of becoming critical. It is not uncommon for the deterministic critical path be different to the most probable critical path. 

photo 1-18-20147-06-49AM_zps308c0c68.jpg

Most of us have to deal every day issue on rain delays using deterministic schedule no matter if Monte Carlo is used or not and this is where we shall first become proficient. 

Rafael Davila

Mike,

The Time Cards table of Asta should make it easy to transfer work data to make the case using measured mile. That an activity was being worked 40 hour on a week by 4  and produced X volume of work is not the same as if 20 hours 4 workers and produced  40% of X, and the quantity/hours/volume ratios is different each week.

For such claim I consider payroll records good probative reference, a job unit-costing system even better, if integrated with schedule the ideal. If tracking time phased volume of work as in unit-costing then much of the otherwise missing data is already there. 

Bully.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Rafael

I was recently commissioned to prepare a baseline programme for a cladding contractor working on a new building in Siberia.

The loss of productivity during the winter period - October to April - was on a gradation of 6 productive hours to 3.

so I set up 6 work patterns and applied them to the outside working crew along the calendar.

The events that drove the work over the winter period had a spectacular effect on the end date.

Unfortunately for me the parties settled before the Arbitration Tribunal got underway.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
Rafael Davila

It is not unusual for weather to have additional impacts other than idle time. At times the whole activity requires a different crew and work hours during different seasons. For this we model seasons as long duration shifts and resources using whole crews as skills for which availability is dependent on season. 

In the following screen Team 1 is the Summer team with twice the productivity of Team 2, the winter team. 

photo 1-15-20147-10-48AM_zps84a8fa5f.jpg

photo 1-15-20147-27-47AM_zps7fb74098.jpg

Definitively weather can have significant impact on some activities.

An activity might be delayed and moved from rain season to dry season, it will take less calendar days and therefore the delay impact is somewhat reduced. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Rob - Rafael

Its not just rain - high winds will stop a tower crane and really hot weather can stop a glass facade / atrium plus freezing weather will affect cement based trades working outside.

I have worked with 3 weather calendars before now.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila

Rob,

You can download the following file for Puerto Rico rain data as you will see how much estimated rain days per month might vary depending on how you define it.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/4wjh53i3hv1179x/NOAA%20SJ%20Rain%20Data%20...

I do not believe in feeding buffers, critical chain is myopic to critical path as it assumes it does not change and as soon as it changes feeding buffers will be out of place. There are other issues but it is a separate discussion. 

Contractual rain is best modeled via calendars, so if the activity that can be affected moves/delayed to another month the duration will be adjusted automatically. 

I recall very detailed rain scheduling specifications that specified a final rain buffer, if I can get a hold on them I will post them. It should be interesting to compare methods. The specification required to deduct on every update a portion of the buffer. 

I use 2 schedules one a tight schedule that does not includes any buffer and another we use to submit to the client. We use the tight schedule to target for early completion without any buffer in the hope we will overcome student syndrome and Parkinson law, what critical chain theory is after but using different approach. By not showing any buffer if it does not happens we will not miss any early date.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Rob Kane
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Rafael.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I think we are pretty much on the same page with methodology used to calculate the amount of time to be allowed for. Once the schedule is set tasks that may be affected are selected, they are then refined to give a rain tollerance i.e can work if Rain is 0 - 10mm day or cant work at all. The location is identified and the statistcal data is retrieved from metorlogical website. This data is then used to determine the amount of additional time to be used. This is similar to your method. I am debating whether or not to show use the calendar or to keep the original durations and use a series of buffers which will keep the amount of contingency remaining visible for all to see.

Rob

tra.jpg

Rafael Davila

Usually weather is a risk that is shared between owner/client and contractor as stated under contract terms. The most common distribution is that normal weather impact is to be absorbed by the contractor while the unusual weather is to be shared, extension of time will be granted and each party will absorb his own costs.

At times the contract conditions are clear as to how many days of expected rain per month are to be considered by the contractor. At other times the contract conditions make reference to NOAA data but fail to define what constitute a rain delay day creating much controversy; if a day with rain over 0.25 in., if over 0.50 in. or any other number.

The scheduling specifications usually require for the contractor to consider normal rain impact on his schedule and leave out above normal impact as to use the schedule for delay analysis. In such case if the contractor/client wants to model above normal weather event he shall do so using the same cpm engine but as a separate scenario.

Weather is a risk event that can be modeled using probabilistic models such as Monte Carlo but the contract conditions usually favor use of a deterministic model for normal rain even when source is a statistical data.

So let assume we know how many rain-days [work] per month are to be included in our contract schedule.

Usually wet weather affects only activities on the outside so for a start the calendar with the contingency shall be applied only to those activities. Then the issue becomes how to spread the expected idle time due to rain.

Some assume at random some specific days to be rain days but I favor spreading the idle time across every hour. 

For a 20 work day’s month with expected normal rain delays of 3 days based on work days, 80% of the month/days/hours are expected to be available for work. Using the hour distribution means we shall use a 51 minute hour.

Note the conversion of work days to calendar days is tricky and specifications usually provide to convert a work day to calendar day using a fixed ratio formula, not perfect but easy to interpret. 

photo 1-14-20147-57-57AM_zps8c8d4f08.jpg

If your software is not capable of defining hours per minute but every 15 minutes you will not be able to use this method that makes a better [more even] distribution.