Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Removing Constraint from Approved Baseline

3 replies [Last post]
Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi,

A friend of mine working with a consultant, has a claim from the contractor. The client on the submission of the design drawings recommended a change within the 28 days of the submission. The contractor resubmitted the design and after a long period of arguments from both the sides the employer approved the original design submitted by the contractor.

Now the contractor claimed an EOT of 69 days when my friend inserted the delay in critical path that has a constraint the approved baseline, it showed the same but when he removed the constrained the delay was just 30 days.

Now, my question is can the consultant remove the constraint to analyze/ determine the delay?

CHEERS

Replies

Osama Qar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for the question and thanks all for your valuable feedback. My personal opinion that Constraints should be minimized or even ommited and only to be used when satistfied for intermediate milestones.

Please refer to the below article which I really agree to its content and I believe is very helpful in this regard

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/ramile.htm

Regards,

Osama Qarakish

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Mr. Testro

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. It really removed much confusion I have been surrounded with.

Cheers

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Tanveer

My first reaction is Yes - all co nstraints should be removed as they have no place in a live programme.

Your freind should remove all constraints from the baseline BEFORE impacting any events to see what the true end date is.

And while he is at it check out all the lead lags.

My second reaction is - Why was the constraint there?

If it represented an "Off Works" milestone - such as Approval of Design - then the constraint should be removed and the milestone set as ALAP.

If it is because a lazy planner had left out some tasks or not developed enough detail then the contractor should be asked to develope his programme.

Just because a programme has been approved doesnt't mean it should be set in stone for ever - particularly if it was wrong in the first place and doesn't react realistically to events.

In any case the contractor has a big incentive to set out his case correctly - just watch out that he doesn't rig the adjustments.

Best regards

Mike Testro