Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A Variation of Omission

34 replies [Last post]
Faried Khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys

I have a simple question, but though it is simple but I still need your hekp for more understanding.

My Question is, Does the Employer (Under FIDIC 4th) have the right to revise the contractual completion date (to an earlier date) in case of instructing a substantial variation of omission (say 30% of the project)?, and why? (based upon FIDIC 4th)

Thanks for your sincere and profession help

Replies

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Narinder,

If it’s any consolation, I have some doubts as to whether the contract drafters intended Cl51.1 to be used for this purpose but as there is no express statement with regard to omissions and time, maybe they did - we can only guess.

But in any case like this, a tribunal, (arbitrator or judge), will always firstly try and find a fair and reasonable solution to the circumstances within the contract wording. In this case Cl51.1 is the way to do it as everything fits nicely without straining the meaning of anything or coming up with an absurd result. Even if Cl51 was not ever intended to be used for time and omissions, the arguments all drop into place allowing it to be used.

It is the right answer because it gives a solution that should turn out to be fair for both employer and contractor if implemented correctly – hence why I attach such importance to Cl2.6 and the way in which the Engineer should approach the situation. Should being the important word in both previous sentences!

Good luck in your negotiations with the Engineer.

Shouldn’t really say this, but at a site level, your arguments might work. Most Engineers have no legal training and if your arguments sound plausible you might win the day. Wouldn’t be the first time it’s happened.

But if the Engineer resists them, you know you’ll get nowhere if put before an arbitrator and its time to back down.
Andrew Flowerdew
Narinder,

Glad to be of assistance.
Narinder Kumar
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Andrew,
how u doing today.

Simply, u have excellent arguments as:

Part of Work = Whole scope of work
Section Not equal to Specified part of work
Clause 51.f is applicable for reduction in duration for omission of works.

I have no more comments on these points.
Thanks for your valued time. Have a great time ahead.

Regards
Narinder
Andrew Flowerdew
To add to the last post: The contract uses the following phrases:

“… Section or part ….” on about 16 occasions,

“… Section or parts of the Permanent Works ….” about 7 times,

“… Section …” about 10 times,

“… parts of the Permanent Works ….” lost count,

“part” and “Section” are not the same thing and it is "part" not "Section" that is refered to in Cl51.1
Andrew Flowerdew
Wishful thinking -

Time for you to look at the definitions.

From the Contract:

"Section" means a part of the Works specifically identified in the Contract as a Section.

Part is not defined. Don’t add words where they don’t exist.

See "Tests on Completion" definition - ..... before the Works or any Section or part thereof.....

"Section" and "part" are used separately - therefore they do not have the same meaning in the contract. "Part" is not defined in the way you suggest.

See "Site" definition - ..... and any other places as may be specifically designated in the Contract as forming part of the site. A "part" of the site does not even have to be physically on the site where the main works are taking place.

A "part" is not a "Section" of the site as you would like to infer it is.

Narinder Kumar
i would suggest to have alook on the clause 1.2 and defination of "section or Part of work’ defined under the heading Defination and Interpretation.

Part of works or sections are intermediate milestone which are independent with their own properties (i.e defined scope of work, defined condition of contract alway referred under part of work or section, seperate timing).

There is difference between Milestone/part of work/section and project (whole scope of works). A project is never defined as a part of work/section (if there is no milestone)at least in construction contracts.

Yes: true: CL51F is applicable only to sectional milestones. if there is no sectional milestone, this is no more applicable.

Andrew Flowerdew
The relevant parts of Cl51 in full:

Cl51.1 The Engineer shall make any variation of the form, quality or quantity of the Works or any part thereof that may, in his opinion, be necessary and for that purpose, or if for any other reason it shall, in his opinion, be appropriate, he shall have the authority to instruct the Contractor to do and the Contractor shall do any of the following:

(a) …………..
(b) omit any such work (but not if the omitted work is to be carried out by the Employer or by another contractor),
(c) ……………
(d) …………..
(e) ………………
(f) change any specified sequence or timing of construction of any part of the Works.

No such variation shall in any way vitiate or invalidate the Contract, but the effect, if any, of all such variations shall be valued in accordance with Clause 52. ……

You: “SPECIFIED SEQUENCE AND TIMING of any part of work”, results that there is a mandatory constraint for some part of work DEFINED IN THE CONTRACT. This clause is applicable for that part only.

Note the word ANY part of the Works in (f). The whole of the Works is the sum of the parts of the Works, but if there are no specified parts, then there is only one part – the whole of the Works.

If there are specified parts then whatever part or parts the remaining work is in, is part or parts of the Works.

You: “However if contractor is submitting his program of works displaying early/late schedule is not ‘SPECIFIED TIMING’. As contractor is not bound to complete any part of works on his submitted program date, only final completion date or milestone date is binding factor.”!

Correct, but the Completion Date is a specified and binding time in the contract.

You: “Thus your statement under point 5 “changing sequence and reducing specified timing i.e completion date for omission work’ is not relevant.”

Only to those who want something else to happen for their own benefit. But the completion date is a specified timing expressly stated in the contract as would be any other milestones. The Completion Date is nothing more than a final milestone date. Are you arguing that the Employer can not change any sectional milestone date either in a similar way? Your first comment on mandatory constraints on sections suggests you think Cl51 is applicable to sectional milestones.
Narinder Kumar
Clause 51. f,
“SPECIFIED SEQUENCE AND TIMING of any part of work”, results that there is a mandatory constraint for some part of work DEFINED IN THE CONTRACT. This clause is applicable for that part only.

However if contractor is submitting his program of works displaying early/late schedule is not ‘SPECIFIED TIMING’. As contractor is not bound to complete any part of works on his submitted program date, only final completion date or milestone date is binding factor.

Thus ur statement under point 5 “changing sequence and reducing specified timing i.e completion date for omission work’ is not relevant.
Andrew Flowerdew
1 No, I don’t think original contract period can be reduced.

2 Cl 44 is not applicable as we are not dealing with an extension of time but the Engineer can instruct a change in sequence or timing of the works under Cl 51.1(f) as a variation. Backdoor way of changing the completion date if used correctly - see 5 below. Consequences of variation then valued under Cl52.

3 Again Cl 51.1 (subject to Cl2.6), gives the Engineer a very very wide discretion as to what he can do – “if for any other reason, in his opinion it is appropriate”. This version of FIDIC doesn’t even restrict what the Engineer can instruct to being “properly required for the completion of the works” as many other contracts do.

4 Agreed – but as above, although the contract does not expressly state what happens with regard to time for an omission, (it is silent on the matter), the Engineer can use Cl51.1(f) in regard to omissions to instruct an earlier completion date, subject to Cl2.6 - see 5 below.

5 Disagree –
Cl51(b) gives authority to omit work.
Cl51(f) gives authority to change specified sequence/timing of any part of the work.

Completion Date is a specified timing of the Works.

6 Cl2.6 – Yes it is very important. What I have been trying to impress on you is that the Engineer is under an obligation to administer the contract fairly to both sides. He should in taking all considerations into account, come up with a result that is not detrimental to contractor or employer, or strike a reasonable balance between the two, any cost of which is claimable by the contractor under Cl52.

7 Original completion date etc – sorry not quite sure what you’re saying but have mentioned this before.

The completion date as defined by Cl43.1 suggests strongly that the final completion date can not be earlier than the period that is stated in the Appendix to Tender - as Cl43.1 says it has to be either this date, or a future date due to an eot.

There are no restraints on what the future date may be however and therefore an extended date brought forward due to an omission will still be compliant with Cl43.1 as long as it is not earlier than the original completion date.

“I tried to justify with network logic that why original completion date is not allowed to bring back and same principle should be applicable to revised program (which reflect a revised contract now onwards) with extended completion date.

Cl2.6 again – the Engineer should use the REVISED programme to assess any effect, but if at the time the omission was instructed, the contractor was in delay due to his own fault things will get a bit more complicated in sorting out what is the true effect of the omission.
Narinder Kumar
Dear Andrew....
Let me brief the history till now.

Your Statement: Confusion in the thread/topic?
My Response: “there should not be any confusion in Thread/topic. The reduction in original contract period due to omission of works is out of context, as no provision allow to the Engineer to do so. Only discussions are “Can Engineer take back or reduce the EOT already awarded to the contract for an omission in later stage”. (Post No 21)
Final Acceptance: Your initial opinion appears that original contract period can also be reduced. Thank god you agreed without wasting our time in further arguments on this.

Your Statement: Under Clause 51.1/52.1/44.3, Engineer can assess the EOT for omission of work, since these clauses are silent about the EOT.
My Reply: Cl 51.1/52.1 is applicable for Cost impact analysis only. Cl 44.1 is applicable for the event ‘additional works’. As additional work is a definite event, therefore clause 44.3 should not be applicable. If both events Addition and omission of the works are known at the time of analysis of assessment of EOT, they can nullify the requirement of additional time which justify the clause 2.6 “Taking all circumstances…” However after the award of EOT, there is no provision in the contract which allows to the Engineer for re-Assessment or decrease in EOT due to omission works.
Final Conclusion: You have agreed that Clauses 44/51/52 are not applicable for the EOT/Time impact assessment of the event Omission of Work (refer Post 19 Last para).

Your Arguments throughout the discussions are based on the prediction What Engineer CAN DO or CAN’T DO. For example Cl 52/51 allows for cost implication; however it does not mean that engineer can’t assess time impact.
However my reply was “Conditions of the Contract direct the Engineer, what he SHOULD DO”. Engineer has no specific power of his own, unless specified in the contract.

Your Argument: Contract is silent about the EOT assessment for Omission of the work.
My Response: Clause 51 and 52 clarify and direct the Engineer regarding cost impact which is required and major concern. However if things are not required to implement, need not to be incorporated. The Fidic 4th Revision does not allow for reduction in Time for completion due to omission of work, hence not included in the contract. To perform this duty Engineer requires power/permission and for that it should be included in the contract (For Example, Contract JCT has allowed for re assessment / reducing the granted EOT under a specific Clause 25.3.2)
Final conclusion: Recommendation regarding contract’s loophole about EOT/time impact assessment for omission should be forwarded to the deciding committee for its urgent action.

My Argument: Contractor has been awarded with EOT for additional work, and submitted the POW for balance works extending to the revised completion date. Under which clause Engineer will instruct/re assess/notify to the contractor for reduction in the Time due to omission of work, when there is no such claim put by the contractor.
Your Response: Most probably it may be under 51.1 (f) “Change any SPECIFIED sequence or TIMING….. OF ANY PART OF THE WORK’.
My feedback:- This clause is applicable for only SPECIFIED SEQUENCE OR TIMING (i.e if there is any milestone or specific construction sequence defined in the contract and only for a part of work, and not for whole project which implies that project completion date can not be changed). This clause has nothing with omission of work.

Your Argument: You have repeatedly referred the Cl 2.6 to justify with the “impartially and taking into all circumstances”
My Response: The contents of this clause are “Engineer shall exercise such discretion impartially WITHIN THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT and having regards to all circumstances”. This clause describes only the procedures for making analysis/decision; however this does not clarify where/when to apply/make these analyses. Hence all these analysis should be in terms of the contract, if contract allow for the EOT assessment due to addition of work, Engineer should do it; if contract does not recommend the Engineer for time impact for omission, he should not exercise. Any claim/assessment made by Contractor /Engineer or Employer will not be valid unless it is supported/Justified and covered under any provision of the conditions of the contract.

My argument: I tried to justify with network logic that why original completion date is not allowed to bring back and same principle should be applicable to revised program (which reflect a revised contract now onwards) with extended completion date.
Your clarification: - Your clarification did not touch this topic to differentiate between both (why original completion date can not be moved forward, which is possible in revised completion date in your opinion, while program in both case have same logic).

I think you have agreed all the points; except that contract is silent about Time impact for omission of work.

Inspite of this u considered contract is silent about this topic then responsibly of preparation of the contract document lies with Engineer/Employer. Hence Benefit of the doubt of error/omission should be given to the contractor.

Andrew Flowerdew
Simple example:

Activity A: xxxxxx
Activity B: ---------xxxxxxxxxxxx
Activity C: ----------------------------xxxxxxx
Orig Comp: ----x
Ext Comp: ---------------------------------------x

Taking all considerations into account, including earliest date the subby previously booked could turn up, etc omit B - :

Activity A: xxxxxx
Activity C: ---------------xxxxxxx
Orig Comp: ----x
New Comp: -------------------------x

What increase in cost has the contractor incurred? Standing time due to the gap in the work possibly – assuming one actually occurs and the contractor does not reduce his workforce to match the time available. But it would be claimable anyway. Time related costs are covered by the eot and in this case the float on A has increased to the contractor’s advantage.
Andrew Flowerdew
Narinder,

1. What else does an Engineer do when he calculates an eot – he resets, sets, moves, changes, use whatever wording you like, the completion date.

2. Cl51.1 The Engineer shall make any variation….. he shall have the authority to instruct the Contractor to do and the Contractor shall do any of the following:
(f) change any specified sequence or TIMING of construction of any part of the Works.

No eot involved, the Engineer is in effect instructing you to finish earlier due to the omission – but if it is assessed properly, (read below), the contractor is not going to suffer any loss, or minimal which is claimable anyway. Cl2.6 again – impartially… having regard to all the circumstances.

3. The contract is silent with regard to what happens with respect to time for an omission. In as much as the Engineer can instruct a change in the timing of the works you could argue that the contract does say what happens, but it isn’t expressly stated as being related to omissions – it is of general application should the Engineer want to use it. There is no express statement saying what happens with respect to time in the case of an omission so I would say the contracts pretty silent on the matter. Just because a contract doesn’t say something doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I don’t think the contract expressly states what grounds the employer has to deduct money off the contractor other than retention and LD’s but that doesn’t mean the employer can not make a valid counterclaim if he has one, either under the contract or relying on his other legal rights. Certainly its better if the contract does say something but no book covers every single eventuality.

4. As per previous post, the revised programme is what the Engineer should use in assessing the impact of an omission plus any other information that might be relevant - like our subby has been booked in advance and can not be moved, etc. Again as previously stated - it certainly doesn’t naturally follow that if an activity 10 weeks long is omitted, the completion date moves back by 10 weeks, the affect of omitting the work may be that the completion date moves only 2 weeks, it may not move at all in which case the completion date remains unchanged.

5. Technically speaking the Engineer could try and use Cl51.1(f) to reduce the original contract period but the definition in Cl43.1 would be a good defence against such an attempt because it explicitly defines what the completion date is. ("private dictionary rule"). If it wasn’t quite so explicit then it could probably be done.

6. If assessed using the up to date programme and all the relevant facts, what’s not impartial? It isn’t rocket science to assess, remove the activities representing the omitted work, re-link as required and hit the reschedule button – does the completion date move or not? All other activities will still have their original durations, possibly some float might be lost, (and there a very long thread on that subject in another section on here).

7. I agree, but if by omitting the work activities from the up to date programme the completion date moves ….
Narinder Kumar
Dear

“Just resetting the date” as quoted by you is not defined anywhere in the contract and has no meaning especially in construction contract.

Your Second point, “you are not applying for an extension of time so what application has Cl44”? In fact this should be answered by you. Contractor has submitted his revised POW after awarding the EOT. How and under which clause Engineer will notify the reduced EOT/ early completion date, when contractor has not submitted any further claim?

Your argument that “Contract is silent about omission” is also not true to greater extent. Since clause for issuing instruction for Omission and evaluation its cost impact are applicable and included in the contract. Time impact due to omission is not applicable hence not included. If few things are not required, no need to incorporate. For example if LD clause is not included in the contract or Tender addendum, it implies that is not applicable in the contract.

Once “Time for completion” is determined after granting EOT, a new program will be prepared for revised duration. The duration of these activities is assigned on the three time estimates and always having risk/intercoordination for non completion. Longer the duration of path of these activities; lesser the risk for completion. If few activities are slipped from their track, those can be recovered with following activities, which is the fundamental logic of any program. Thus Planning is done for whole scope of works and not for isolated parts. Simply removal of some work will not be compatible with any network logic.

This is the basic reason behind non-decrease of the Original Contract Duration, which should also be valid for the Revised Time for completion after award of EOT and after finalization of revised program particularly.

How can you reduce the path of these activities for omitting the work, and increasing the risk on remaining activities having less path duration? Is it impartially?

Finally, when the remaining works will be extended to the Revised final completion date, hardly there will be any allowance for decrease in duration due to omission.
Andrew Flowerdew
A couple of questions:

Why should bringing forward the completion date invalidate the contractual completion date? It’s just resetting the date, I’m sure you wouldn’t say the completion date was invalidated if you gained a further eot and the date was reset again at a later date in time.

You are not applying for an extension of time so what application has Cl44?

The situation is that the contract is silent on the matter, no clause applies except maybe Cl43 which infers that a completion date earlier than the original date can not be set. Cl44 & 51 appear completely irrelevant as far as omissions and time are concerned.

So what is the intention of the contract in this situation?

Broadly speaking - the Employer and Contractor have agreed that many of their rights and obligations under the contract, including the time for completion, will be determined in the first instance by a third party – the Engineer. If either party disagrees with the Engineers’ decision, the safeguard is that they can refer the matter to an arbitrator for review.

So it is up to the Engineer to decide on each party’s rights and obligations if the contract is silent on a matter.

In doing so under Cl2.6 the Engineer in giving a “decision” or “otherwise taking action which may affect the rights and obligations of the Employer or the Contractor” has to “exercise his discretion in the matter impartially within the terms of the contract having regard to all the circumstances”.

So and assuming that after the additional work was instructed you revised your programme AND GAVE THE ENGINEER A COPY, the Employer want to omit some work. The Engineer should now use the programme you have given him to work out the effect of omitting that work. It certainly doesn’t naturally follow that if an activity 10 weeks long is omitted, the completion moves back by 10 weeks, the affect of omitting the work may be that the completion date move 2 weeks forward, it may not move at all.

But if based on the programme, omitting the work has the affect of moving the completion date forward, then I see nothing in the contract why the Engineer can not reset the completion date at that earlier date.

That I believe is what any person would do if acting impartially after taking all circumstances into consideration and I think, the reasonable conclusion any tribunal would come too. The contract does not just work to protect one party’s interest. It is certainly the decision I would decide upon when sitting on a tribunal. Why, because it is fair to both parties.

If, as is often the case, you rearranged your work to suit the new completion date and did not give the Engineer a copy of the new programme, then how can he take that information into consideration when assessing the impact of omitting some work?

If he is assessing the impact based on some out dated programme because you haven’t told him of the changes you’ve made then he’s actually doing nothing wrong either. He’s basing his decision on what he believes to be correct information and as long as he carries the process out impartially he can not be blamed if you don’t like what he comes up with.
Narinder Kumar
Andrew;
Love your arguments; however there should not be any confusion in Thread/topic. The reduction in original contract period due to omission of works is out of context, as no provision allow to the Engineer to do so. Only discussions are “Can Engineer take back or reduce the EOT already awarded to the contract for an omission in later stage”.

Once the EOT is awarded to the contract for additional works, it has now new ‘Time for Completion’ defined under clause 43.1 (time stated in addendum + awarded EOT), which will become the new contractual completion date, since this EOT has been awarded after discussions with Employer only. Now instruction for omission is given under Cl 51 (b), however the same clause states “No such variation shall in any way vitiate or invalidate the contract’. Thus if you decrease this EOT, it will invalidate the contractual completion date (which is now Revised date, since this has been agreed by Engineer/Employer/Contractor under Cl 43.1)

Second, after award of EOT, Contractor has to submit his revised POW under Cl 14.2, where Contractor will/can plan his remaining scope of works (NOT ONLY ADDITIONAL WORK) to complete/extend till revised completion date in place of original completion date (considering no milestone exist). If reduction in awarded EOT is resulted in later stage, this will require acceleration measures on few paths/activities of revised program (14.2), which is against the provision of contract and support that revised date can not be pulled back.

Regarding Clause 2.6, I would read it as “Engineer shall exercise such discretion impartially WITHIN THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT”. Revision / reassessment of completion date is defined under the Cl 43.1, which consider only the case for Extension of time for the events listed under Cl 44. Thus the objectives of the Cl 43, 44 & 51 are very clear and direct; what Engineer SHOULD DO rather than what HE CAN or CAN NOT?

You correctly stated that the omission of works can not be considered under the Cl 44 as a separate event, as this can be only a mitigation measure. During the analysis of an EOT, if both events “Addition of work and omission of works” are known, both will nullify the time requirement in accordance with the Cl 2.6 “HAVING REGARDS TO ALL THE CIRCUMSTANCES”. However after the award of EOT, there is no clause in the contract (FIDIC 04 revision) to reduce the time unless it is expressly stated(for example the JCT allow to the Engineer for reduction in EOT for omission of works under Cl 25.3.2).

The omission of the works is Employer’s wish and he can not take advantage in both ways "removal of unwanted works and possession of project in earlier stage".

further arguments welcomed.

regards
Narinder

Particularly your view about decrease in interim EOT, I have still doubt, and will explore some time later if you still strict to your statement.

Andrew Flowerdew
There’s also the revised programme under Cl14.2. If you have submitted a programme to show your entitlement to an extension of time and that programme shows certain activities to be critical, if the employer omits a critical activity then it will be a hard exercise to argue that the planned completion date has not move forward.

But, if you want a bit of fun with the employer, you are under no obligation to prove that the completion date has moved. The burden of proof is on the Engineer so all those arguments that he usually uses against you claiming that your analysis is flawed, (if you were after an eot), you can now use the same against him.

He’s , (ok it may be a she), now has to prove what was critical to completion and that the omitted activity was critical.

May be some scope to argue in this, may be not.
Andrew Flowerdew
Narinda,

Sorry, re-read the whole story - you started the thread asking if Engineer can reduce time due to omission, but if I’ve read the later threads right, there was first additional work entitling you to an eot and then an omission which could cancel out the eot.

Therefore the scenario appears to be can the Engineer take back an eot already granted for a later omission, not can the Engineer shorten the original contract period for an omission if there has been no eot in the first place.

I agree Cl44.1(a) or (d) would be appropriate grounds for an eot claim for the additional work.

But, whether a known quantified event or an ongoing event, there’s no restriction on the Engineer as to whether he can set an earlier date or a later date, (except in a final assessment of an ongoing event as per Cl44.3).

Although the wording isn’t expressly stated in Cl44.1 “take all circumstances into consideration”, it is equally applicable to Cl44.1 as it is Cl44.3, (it is stated) - it is well established that other circumstances can be taken into consideration when determining an eot and see Cl2.6 Engineer to act impartially.

I can see your argument, Cl51.1 allows for a valuation of the omission but nowhere does it expressly state that the Engineer will reassess the time implications of an omission. The contract is silent as to how or when, (if at all), this is to be assessed. Therefore it doesn’t say it will or it won’t be assessed.

There is a good case that he can’t reduce the original contract period given the wording of Cl43.1 but on common sense grounds if nothing else – less work needs less time. The Engineer must use his discretion impartially under Cl2.6 and therefore it doesn’t surprise me that reducing an eot because of an omission seems fair and reasonable.

There is no restriction on the Engineer re-assessing a previous interim eot claim, there is no express final reassessment at completion or within a given period after completion, but then there is nothing to say it can’t be done either.

Cl44.2 says the Engineer is not bound to determine an eot unless the contractor gives notice, but it doesn’t say he can’t do it in the absence of a notice.

But more importantly I guess, normally in the case of an omission Cl44 wouldn’t apply – as we are not talking about an extension of time. In most cases, as in this one, we are talking about whether the Engineer can re-assess the current completion date in the light of an omission. Nothing in the contract says he can but, nothing says he can’t either.

But given his obligations under Cl 2.6(a) or (d), absent other express words to the contrary, I think you’d have a hard time convincing a tribunal that it wasn’t a fair and reasonable thing to do.
Narinder Kumar
Hi Andrew, i have still doubt.

1. When Engineer issue an instruction for additional road works; this is a definite event and will be analysed under Clause 44.1 (a) "The amount or nature of extra or additional works". Therefore, Clause 44.3 (interim determination of extension)should not be appropriate. Contractor should be awarded EOT without giving due consideration of future omission of works (instruction for omission may be issued after 2 months).

2. Also, Clause 44.3 "Interim determination of Extension" refers the events listed under Clause 44.1 only, which are applicable for assessment of EOT. Thus EOT valid events include
(A) " amount or Nature of extra or additional work"
(B)...., (c)....., (D).....
However, there is no event which is empowering to the Engineer to make assessment of EOT for "omission of work".
Clause 52.1 is applicable for cost valuation only and not for EOT assessment.

3. Furthermore, Clause 44.3 specify that "No final review shall result in a decrease of ANY EOT already determined by the Engineer". This clause (the work ANY EOT) does not compare only the final EOT and last interim assessment, but Final EOT w.r.t any interim assessment made till date. i.e if you make an interim assessment (60 days) due to additional works and later decrease by equal amount due to omission of work. Final Review should be 60 days EOT.
Andrew Flowerdew
Narinda,

Nearly forgot - All circumstances would include the fact that sub contractors have been booked in advance, etc.

If there are genuine costs associated with bringing them forward then that is claimable and if they REALLY can not be brought forward then that is a circumstance the Engineer has to take into consideration.

But, you’ve got to tell him about these things because if he doesn’t know, he can’t take those circumstances into consideration! And that’s when the arguments start.
Andrew Flowerdew
Narinda,

Which version of the FIDIC 4th Edition are you working too? It got amended and reprinted a few times – 1988, 1992…. Assuming it’s the fully amended version:

Alterations, Additions, Omissions

Cl51.1 Variations – The Engineer shall make any variation …. He shall have the authority to instruct the Contractor and the Contractor shall do any of the following:

(a)     increase or decrease the quantity of any work…
(b)     omit any such work….

No such variation shall in any was vitiate or invalidate the Contract, but the effect, if any, of all such variation shall be valued in accordance with Cl52….

There’s the power to do it and the money side of things.

Cl 51.2 Instructions for Variations – The Contractor shall not make any such variations without an instruction… Provided that no instruction shall be required for increase or decrease in the quantity of any work where such increase or decrease is not the result of an instruction given under this clause, but is the result of the quantities exceeding or being less than those stated in the Bill of Quantities.

If the Engineer omits a section of work, ie, it isn’t simply a re-measurement change in quantities using the original drawings, then he has to issue an instruction. (ignoring for the second the 15% increase provision)

Cl44.3 Interim Determination of Extension - …the Engineer shall review ALL the circumstances and shall make his determination ….

No FINAL review shall result in a decrease of any extension of time already determined by the Engineer.

No such restriction on interim determinations so in interim determinations the Engineer can move the completion date backwards or forwards as the circumstances dictate.

He should assess the events in the order that they happened but is quite at liberty to give an eot for additional work and then reduce it for omitted work in a following interim assessment.

Only when he comes to the FINAL assessment does the contract say he can’t take back or decrease any eot already given, (or the original completion date).

Hope this helps
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Narinda

It is some years since I worked with FIDIC but I seem to recall that the effect of the Engineers instruction is grounds for an EOT if it constitutes a variation.

Whereas an increase / decrease in quantity due to re-measurement is not a variation.

Of course events have to be impacted on the programme as and when they occur.

I am away from base at present so I cannot look up the clauses.

Best regards

Mike T.
Narinder Kumar
Mike,
i do not agree with your statement that "addition and omission have to be considered in the same analysis".

The EOT should be awarded at the time of issuing instruction for additional works, which will entitle the additional time for the contractor. at that time there is no instruction for omission of work, so how can you put both events in same analysis.

Furthermore, Contract clause 44 (recommendation of EOT) does not allow / or is not applicable for the event "omission of works", then under which clause can you evaluate the impact of EOT of the event "omission of work"
Narinder Kumar
Mike,
i do not agree with your statement that "addition and omission have to be considered in the same analysis".

The EOT should be awarded at the time of issuing instruction for additional works, which will entitle the additional time for the contractor. at that time there is no instruction for omission of work, so how can you put both events in same analysis.
Mike Testro
Hi Narinder

Both the addition and ommission have to be considered in the same analysis - you cannot pick and choose which is best for you.

Have a look at my latest entry in "Owner Owns the Float 2" which sets out the concurrency rules.

There will always be disputes between delay analysts working for different sides of the argument which is a good thing otherwise I would starve.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Narinder Kumar
Hi Mike,

On behalf of Contarctor’s delay analyst, definitely after issuing the instruction for additional works, one can easily demonstrate an requirement of additional time (considering this lies on the critical path). hence valid case of EOT.

However Engineer’s Delay analyst can nullify this impact with equivalent omission works.

thus it is logically possible to demonstate the delay analysis in both way.

Which analysis is in line with contractual clauses (fidic 4th edition)? should EOT be granted?
Mike Testro
Hi Narinder

A skilled delay analyst deals with this type of scenario all the time - your scenario is relatively simple.

Any EOT will be what the delay analysis demonstrates.

Best regards

Mike T.
Narinder Kumar
However the interesting case will be,when Engineer issue an instruction to the Contractor for additional work (for example additional road work of 2 km in one location)followed by omissios of equivalent road works in other location in same project. what will be the impact or final assessment of EOT? will EOT for additional 2 km will be granted?
Mike Testro
Hi Narinder

Yes - under FIDIC and ICE the Engineer can change the sequence or timing of the works.

He can also omit works.

If such changes reduce or increase the Clause 14 contract then the instruction is valued accordingly.

Such variation does not invalidate the contract which means all the clauses remain intact and are to be applied contractually - including the completion date.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Narinder Kumar
Even there is no contract provision in Fidic rev forth 1987. Clause 51.1 (f) empower to the Engineer "change any specified sequence or timing of construction of any part of the works". this refer for a part of work only and not the whole project or contract duration. Further the same clause state ’No such variation shall in any way vitiate or invalidate the contract’, which confirn that project duration can not be reduced.

however if both parties (Employer/Contractor) are mutually agreeing, contract can be revised with revised contractual data.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
The same JCT rule,

there is a clause for contract determination

Remove the contractor

No more headache
Mike Testro
Hi All

Under the JCT rules the Architect cannot reduce the timescale for an ommission of work unless he is assessing an EOT for other relevant events.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Faried,

I do agree with you Faried. This is really a mess since the contractor will use wahtever advantage they can. The Contractor can prepare a revise program showing that irrespective of the reduction of scope, the project duration will remains as per original.

But if we think about it really, it will be for the contractor’s advantage to finish earlier in view of the reduction of scope since his preliminaries will be reduced relative to the deployment of management, meaning savings in paying the payroll of project managers, construction managers, engineers, etc. savings in indirect cost.

As for the owner, they should explore all posiblities to reduce the project duration in view of reduce scope of works. Both parties should find ways to benifits.

OR, what is the owner in power for: contract determination and replace the contractor in the event of refusal to reduce the project duration. The contractor is idiot anyway, so no need for the project to suffer more for idiotic contractors.
Faried Khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Charleston

Well, I do agree with you but I can tell you some other opinion saying "No the Employer has no right to reduce the project duration", because simply the Contractor would say I am sorry, I have already arranged my labour and sub-contractors to do the finishing works on that later dates and cannot re-arrange my schedule to fit the Employer’s requirements.

I don’t know exactly if the above opinion is OK or not ... any comments?
Charleston-Joseph...
The reason to reduece the project duration is logic.

If 30% scope was remove from the original scope, then, if follows that the new scope after the omission is much less compared to what was originally contracted.

The best way to determine the reduce project duration is to evaluate the baseline cpm.

In the event that the activities remove are in the critical path, then, logically, the project duration will be reduce.

Basically, contractors will not accept this approach. WHY???? I DONT KNOW WHY

(shhh, could be greed)