Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Increase of Manpower - Variation Order?

5 replies [Last post]
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Just to get your opinion. I’m currently involve in a project as client representative. Fyi, it is a lump sum contract of project management consultancy (PMC) services.

During proposal stage, the consultant had proposed its organization chart (with certain number of manpowers) to effectively execute the scope as PMC. The scope is fixed. The cost is also fixed based on the agreed scope.

Down the road, we realize that the consultant did underestimate the requirement of manpower i.e. they must increase their manpower in order to effectively execute their scope of work as the PMC. We demand them to increase the manpower. We believe it’s a scope driven and should not be a change order.

What’s your opinion?

Thanks

norzul

Replies

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Simon,

I quite agree with your sentiments but as the Client I would make quite sure the consultant knew exactly where he stood first.

The underperformance could end up creating large problems costing you more in dispute resolution than it’s worth. This is a commercial decision for the client to take, but let it be known where the starting point is.

Simon Peter Cordner
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Contractually, the previous responses are correct. The contract is lump sum, and the consultant’s underestimation is his own trouble to bear.

Strategically, as the client rep you’re going to want to consider how MUCH the consultant has underfunded himself and the affect that could have on your project. A consultant that cannot perform the services that you would like represents a risk that deserves acknowledgement.

Now that the consultant is aware of the underfunding, to what extent will they accept the loss of profit and increase manpower? To what extent are they willing to provide a substandard product in order to preserve their profit? Are you going to be struggling throughout the lifetime of the project with a consultant that consistently understaffs and subsequently underperforms?

Its most likely the best idea to force the consultant to increase manpower with no change to contract amount, but you should maintain a wider perspective on the implications that will have.
Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Norzul.

I think that you have answered your own question, when you state : “The cost is also fixed based on the agreed scope.”

If the workscope has not changed, then why change the price??

In my experience, Client’s are notorious for under-estimating their own manpower requirements, though they are the first to complain when Contractors don’t provide sufficient manpower!!
I would underline Andrew’s opinion: he’s got to do it and he doesn’t get anymore money for it!!

Hope this helps,

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Norzul,

Assuming no increase in the original scope of work then under a lump sum agreement the starting position in English law is it is up to your consultant to produce the goods as required, end of story, no more money.

If he requires 100%, 200%, 300%, etc increase from his originally estimated manpower to forfill his obligations then I’m afraid that’s what he’s got to do and he doesn’t get anymore money for it.

Remember also, under a lump sum agreement it is up to your consultant (and any other party, contractor, etc) to complete his contract and that includes doing everthing you could reasonably have foressen at tender he would have to do and include, whether mentioned on the drawings, in the spec, in the contract, etc, OR NOT.

If there has been unforeseeable changes rom tender then it’s a different story but otherwise the above applies. Also check his contract to see there’s no get around clauses that apply.
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
???Any advise??