Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Code Library Entries

2 replies [Last post]
Ben Jewell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I'm currently trying to put together a template programme for a particular project where the data is being gathered in a rather cumbersome Excel document.

At the moment, I'm trying to build a code library so that I can make the transfer of data between Excel and Powerproject as painless as possible as there is a lot to group and sort (I'm hoping that I can create a suitable template to gather the data in the format that I want etc. etc.) but I digress....

What I would like to know is whether there is a way to import or paste multiple items into a code library rather than enter all the values manually?

I'm not concerned about setting bar formats as these will be determined by another code library but I have approximately 3000 items that I need to bring over which will be used to group and sort the programme.  All of the items I need have already been entered into the spreadsheet so a simple copy and paste (if possible) would be ideal but I haven't had any success trying that with the code library.

Is this possible or can anyone suggest a method whereby I can paste this data straight into Powerproject as I would rather avoid adding 3000 items manually!

I primarily work in P6 due to client requirements so I may be missing something relatively simple but any advice or help would be very greatly appreciated!

I'm using version 12.0.02 if that makes any difference to what I'm attempting.

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

Replies

Ben Jewell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for that, I'll give it a shot in the next couple of days once I have the Excel work finalised.

I had a feeling, based on my previous experiences with Asta, that it would be possible.  I just need to get used to a slightly different work flow!

Ben

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Ben

I gather from your query that you are more used to working in a P6 environment.

Asta works differently

You can copy paste any sort of data from a spreadsheet to an Asta programme EXCEPT logic links and summary bars..

So if you copy and paste the tasks and durations first then set up the code libraries you can copy paste these values from the spreadsheet.

Set up the programme columns first then copy paste afterwards.

You will then be faced with the laborius task of logic links and summaries but these may not be necessary in a template.

Make sure that the Tools > Reschedule > dialogue sets the tasks with no links to Leave as Drawn - otherwise thay will all drop back to the start date.

Hope that helps

Mike Testro