Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Powerproject V 8

2 replies [Last post]
Jeff Richards
User offline. Last seen 19 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Australia - Nov 12, 2004

Firstly, I am a scheduler not a reseller.

On the topic of which is better P3e or Powerproject one approach we are looking at is comparing the outputs. Now this is for basic level scheduling in projects that would be equally comforably produced in SureTrak or MSP.

PP is a little different in terms of its layout to SureTrak and MSP (2000) and has lots of features which provide flexibility to the end user. Some of these have been mentioned in earlier posts.

One nice feature is the variable scale time zones - with the 3 regions you can show days, months and years in the barchart area.

For people who want a flexible scheduling tool I think the product is worth a serious look. I have seen the discussion about the construction industry and scheduling tools.

Complexity and pricing for P3e is making it difficult for mid sized contractors to take it on board.

For example in July 2004, 1-3 copies, Concurrent user licenses of Primavera Project Management for construction/ Engineering (includes 12 months maintenance) AUD$7920 plus 20% buy price for annual maintenance (each year thereafter). I do acknowledge that P3e has other features that attempt to promote work flow - but if you want a scheduling tool and not a document management system.. look at Powerproject.

Standalone Powerproject is about one fifth of this price !!!

I havent tested PP with 6000 activities - certainly information from initial feedback is that once you approach large numbers of activities it is time to change databases.

A good introduction to Powerproject (for those who want to quickly come up to speed) is to watch the video files (available on cd from PP distributors). The videos show you how to set up a project and features a presenter at his pc.

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have experience on Powerproject long time ago. The graphic presentation is the best when compare with similiar packages at that time.

However, if I want to do some CPM analysis, Powerproject doesn’t help, I need to convert data back to P3 for analysis.

Hope it is overcome by the latest version.