Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Reason of Delay

3 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 25 sec ago. Offline

In order to figure it out what is delaying an activity links and resource dependencies are not enough when leveling materials and financial resources, it is the Reason of delay field what gives me this information. There are several places where you can make this field visible but perhaps the most accessible would be at the activity properties.

DR01

DR02  an additional tab to make room for Reason of delay would be convenient. Perhaps two Calculated Data tabs not only will make room for this field but also might reduce the clutter if interruptions are moved to this additional tab.

As soon as Spider implemented this field I stopped using resource dependencies, this is easier, faster and do not miss materials and financial resource leveling as a source of delay.

Replies

Rafael Davila

Another important calculated data are the assignment floats, maybe also an additional tab to display activity assignment floats would be convenient. A scrolling table showing Team, Multi-Resource, Resource, Start Float and Finish Float should do it.

It will also serve as a reminder that Activity floats do not provide all the data necessary for project control. In the projects with the complicated resource assignments there may be situations when an activity has different start and finish floats. Resources are often separately assigned on an activity. There are several types of independent assignments. Thus, a team of resources can be assigned on an activity to do a certain amount of work, or for a certain period of time, while other resource teams perform the rest of activity work independently. When you have 3 teams an activity not start and not finish critical might have a critical resource assignment.

Assignment-Floats-01

Assignment-Floats-02

Rafael Davila

2021-12-18-10-09-05

• The above is an example of a Note long enough to showcase the issue. 
  • Please take notice about my comment within this note regarding the display of User Fields values.
  • Also note that hovering does not always display all the information as you can see in the following image.
  • 2021-12-18-10-46-34
daniel morais
User offline. Last seen 1 day 7 hours ago. Offline

Really this is a excellent way to know what delay some activity, I did the same you, I just use reason of delay to analyse. The ideia of put on the additional tab is good.